4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 26, 2016 11:01 PM by noelc

CLI.exe - loaded preset, doesn't hold after monitor 1 of 3 sleeps and is reawakened

noelc

I now use the provided CLI.exe tool in the CCCSlim folder to load a preset I have saved, which sets my monitor calibrations up just as I want them.  This happens at login via a Startup group entry which runs a .BAT file.  All fine and good, except I really shouldn't have had to code that file - Crimson lost the ability to auto-load a preset.  But that's not why I'm here.

With the setup I described, and Crimson 16.1, occasionally when the monitors go to sleep on system inactivity - but not EVERY time - monitor 1 loses its calibration and becomes bluer-looking.  Reloading the preset from within CCC.exe by clicking on its name clears it up.  The other two don't seem to lose their calibration.

CCC.png

What can be done to make sure the preset stays in force?

This was never a problem with pre-Crimson drivers, which loaded the last preset used when CCC.exe started and always kept the calibration on all 3 monitors even across monitor sleep power-downs.

At this point I'm looking into whether I can schedule the CLI.exe Start Load profilename="Noels sRGB" command on wakeup to reload the preset.  That may be possible; I'm not sure.

Could this be related to the "monitor corruption" problems being reported elsewhere?

-Noel

• Re: CLI.exe - loaded preset, doesn't hold after monitor 1 of 3 sleeps and is reawakened
          noelc

Typical.  Not a peep on this from anyone in 2 days.

Apparently the number of people doing serious things with a computer and who have a need for their hardware to work consistently is dropping to near-zero.

Alas, I appear to be alone in hoping that I can both keep up with software updates (which bring things like advancements in the OpenGL implementation level that I need) AND continue to expect the functionality I need (and which has worked in past versions) to continue to work.

At this point you may be thinking, "Who the hell cares whether an engineer with an ATI card can use the color adjustments effectively?  That doesn't affect me.  I only care if the blood spatter looks more or less red."

I appreciate all you gamers who have financed the advance of this technology so far, I really do, but hey, I paid actual money for it too. 

All I can say is just wait until they drop a feature that's important to YOU.  Oops, your favorite game just doesn't work any more, and no one so much as even acknowledges that fact.  Too bad for you, go buy something else.

The Golden Age of general purpose computing is coming to an end.  No big deal.

I'm sure the competition isn't doing any better with their products.  I imagine managers thinking, "Hey, if we all degrade our quality at the same time, and the public acts too stupid to notice, there's no end to what we can get away with!  We won't have to work nearly so hard!"

I am tempted to ask whether workstation card drivers still offer the color and preset control we once had with Catalyst drivers, except this is the forum from the wrong company on which to ask that specific question.  I'm certainly not going to send AMD any more money for just forgetting to support a feature they already had, and which figured into my decision to purchase in the first place.

-Noel

• Re: CLI.exe - loaded preset, doesn't hold after monitor 1 of 3 sleeps and is reawakened
            noelc

This continues to be an intermittent problem.  No combination of running or not running cnext.exe or CCC.exe / MOM.exe seems to work around it.  Of course I can easily re-load the preset to clear it up, but the amount the calibration is off is small and I don't always notice it.  I like my system to be calibrated right without my attention.

Sure would be nice if it would just wake up the monitor with the right calibration - as it has ALWAYS done prior to Crimson.

-Noel

noelc

So...  Crimson 16.3 is now available.  Any chance it might address this issue?  I'm not taking down an otherwise stable system to try a non-WHQL driver unless I have evidence it actually solves a problem.

AMD, do you have ANYONE here who could answer this?

I'm a business user who writes graphics software.  You have to know that just being silent about bona fide issues isn't helping you maintain your graphics hardware development business!

-Noel

noelc

Just want to mention that 16.3.1 seems to solve this issue.  I haven't had a bad preset configuration loaded in 8 days of use.

So, assuming it's not an accident, thanks to whomever at AMD fixed this.  It's appreciated.

-Noel