2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 17, 2016 10:35 AM by techguy

Is my Amd athlon x4 860K Overheating?

lukeszmig

Hi I built my new pc the other day and my cpu temp looks high in the bios it showed 49c.

Here's my PC specs from speccy.

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

AMD Athlon X4 860K with stock cooler

8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 804MHz (Don't know why it's showing 801mhz when it should be 1600mhz)

Gigabyte F2A68HM-HD2

MSI GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB

Seagate ST3500312CS ATA Device

This is what its showing on idle with only speccy and amd overdrive running.

The amd overdrive keeps jumping from 65 to 70c

Untitled.pngUntitled2.png

Now here's the temps from 15 mins of playing on Might & Magic Duel of Champions which isn't really a high demanding game my old pc run it fine. System requirements for the game.

Not to sure if that's bad the frequency being red.

Untitled3.png

Now the rams at 798mhz and 96c

Untitled4.png

• Re: Is my Amd athlon x4 860K Overheating?
          t77chevy

speecy is no good for checking our temps with , amd overdrive is however a good app to check apps the temps with , note it reads in thermal margin and not temp .

• Re: Is my Amd athlon x4 860K Overheating?
            techguy

I'd recommend trying the temp applet "Core Temp" or "HWiNFO" to check your AMD processor. AMD's later versions of AOD that use "thermal margin" are incorrect as they use an incorrect max temp for the processor to calculate thermal margin. As such they may show you have 9 degrees C or more thermal margin than you actually have. Core Temp and HWiNFO should read the same within one degree. You will need to use the latest versions of most software to get accurate information. As new processors are released the software is updated to identify them properly. the max user operating temp for the Athlon X4 860K is 72.4C. BTW, none of the temp applets read the lower AMD processor temps correctly but they are accurate in the 60C-70C range according to AMD Engineering.

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Bulldozer/AMD-Athlon%20II%20X4%20860K.html