55 Replies Latest reply on Feb 18, 2016 6:00 AM by tomtalk24

R9 270  and Win 10_ 64 bit

ded@lus

Im using the MSI R9 270 2G card (sort of using.. because of the existing problem) on a WIN 10_64bit computer.. The mobo is MSI Z97 Gaming 5 +(2x4GB Kingston HyperX memory) And NO MATTER WHAT I DO - I always have the black screen as soon as I instal ANY gpu driver, new,old - its the same! Im not a fanboy.. or someone that will fight with people over TEAM RED vs TEAM GREEN talk.Who is better, who is worse.. but READ:  AMD,THIS IS HOW YOU LOSE CUSTOMERS! My card is OUT of the case,now.. because is USELESS. I don't know who is to blame AMD or Micro$oft! But this card work just FINE before! Win 7 and Win 8(8.1) But just recently stop working. SO I JUST HOPE (and i know im NOT the only one) THAT YOU FIX THIS THING WITH THE NEXT UPDATE! This is just frustrating! I DID EVERY SINGLE THING I COULD DO TO SOLVE THIS MYSELF, read who know how many posts online.. from people like me and NOTHING happend! And I would HATE to see an generic answer - to try to clean install the latest drivers because NOTING fix this! The big letters is so that you could see YET ANOTHER GUY WHO IS COMPLAINING ABOUT THE SAME ISSUE,SOU YOU FIX IT ASAP!

English is not my language, so I'm sorry if i didnt wrote it 100% correct - but EVERYTHING is 100% TRUE!

• Re: R9 270  and Win 10_ 64 bit
          waltc

Nobody doubts it's all true, so relax...;)

It sounds like a simple matter of the card not syncing to the resolution and refresh rate of your monitor...evidently, the driver installation is installing the incorrect monitor driver and bam, you lose sync and you get a black screen.

When you boot to Windows *before* you try and install a gpu driver, what do you see?  You see your normal desktop, correct?  Answer here is important. If you answer I'll suggest a couple of things...

Next obvious answer is that you got a bad card and it has stopped working, but I think the solution above is the correct one...But if setting up the right monitor driver doesn't work, contact the seller of your card and get him to send you another one. It's rare in my experience, but it does happen.  Some companies think nothing of selling a warranty return as if it was brand new, etc.

ded@lus

Hope this helps..autodetect driver download tries to download the wrong driver (i didnt use it, but just to show) And on the GPU-z  is what I see as soon i boot after all drivers wipe..

alexthepilot2015@gmail.com

Manually install the driver then instead of using auto detect I have the same card on Windows 10 64 Bit and it works awesome. Also try unplugging the card and reinstalling it that will force Windows to update and see that there has been new hardware added.

ded@lus

I need to see it - to belive it, honestly. Not the only one who is complaining - a lot of people hve the same issue! What drivers you use now? I'm thinking to order an Nvidia card.. because i NEVER had problem like this with a GPU.. you might say "don't say that twice" But is like that.

ded@lus

Just tried your solution.. the way you describe it - and still nothing. Look at this post - the same ISSUE as in my case..

Chek his post - no one managed to help him!

kingaslan Jan 4, 2016 6:56 AM

I have a long story about how I came to this point, but the important information is that I've clean installed Windows 10 onto a brand new SSD with a R9 270X GPU and AMD-FX 6300 CPU, but whenever I attempted to boot it up, it just flickered and went to a black screen after the windows logo and the spinning dots. I managed to follow a guide that I cannot find now on the Windows Support site (I was desperate) and discovered it was related the the AMD display drivers. I found my way to the device manager and downloaded Display Drive uninstaller (DDU) and managed to get windows stable with an internet connection (previously, any connection to the internet would install AMD's drivers and break everything) by going through system>advanced system settings>hardware tab>device installation settings and selecting "no".

So now, I'm using Window's Microsoft basic display adapter and any attempts to install AMD's latest Crimson stuff has resulted in immediate black screen lockdown. The funny thing is, my first attempt to install a fresh Win 10 was very successful, but I realized I hadn't plugged my GPU in properly, and that's when everything went to hell.

I've scoured the internet and spent my entire afternoon attempting to fix this. please help AMD, you're my only hope.

ded@lus

faisalb4 Jan 4, 2016 2:44 PM (in response to kingaslan

I have the same issue dude as in my case

I am the proud owner of a HIS AMD Radeon  HD R9 270X  2 GB . I was running windows 10 Pro x64 bit with Amd crimson driver 15.11.1 beta when my system crashed playing the Dota 2 suddenly

I was greeted with a black screen instead of the Windows log-on screen. I quickly figured out that the GPU drivers were the problem here, so I cleaned them using DDU in safe mode and then tried a fresh install with the 15.7.1. During the installation of the driver, the screen went black again. I have tried many other previous and newer versions of various drivers but no luck . I did system restores of my previous build in windows 10 but always get the black screen with a system freeze.

Basically, the system runs fine with the basic Microsoft driver, but the very second I install any AMD driver (I have tried the current versions and older ones, over a year old), my screen goes black. No matter if I clean the drivers in safe mode with DDU or not, or if I used the device manager to directly update the driver, or let Windows update do its thing.

Right now my system specifications are

My PC specification is Intel 4th generation 4570 Core i5 3.2 GHz Intel DB85FL 8 gb RAM Crosair VS650 650 watt

I have found users with the same issue, dating over a year back, this seems to be widespread and no one knows a solution. When will there be a fix to get my GPU working again? What is the cause. Excact ETA on the fix pls, this should be the number one priority for the Catalyst team right now!

I have been using this card since 3 years everything everygame and every driver on every window was working fine before . I have also tried switching to windows 7, windows 8 , windows 8.1 but regardless of the amd display driver version the same isssue occours as soon as the display driver is installed

The same!

faisalb4

Alright guys sadly after a number of tries as suggested by amd techincal support my R9 270x is not giving display on any machine now the situation has gone worst as it started with the driver black screen issue i don't know what my fault as i am left with a faulty GPU with tears in eyes

ded@lus

Just a complete waste of money and time! Home many people HERE posted a same ISSUE? Let's stay on one post and be heard! They can't just ignore us! This is literally viral! What I do (and many other)  with a half broken card now?!  AND IT'S AMD DRIVERS fault! I'm asking of all people who posted something on this forum - and it's regarding the same issue, with your card TO REPOST ON MY POST SO WE ARE FINALLY HEARD! AND SOMEONE ACTUALY DO SOMETHING FOR US!

THANK TO FEW, THAT TRY TO HELP ME, WITH THEIR ADVICES!

ded@lus

kingaslanfaisalb4ivan2887nore83eliveltonascimento@gmail.comlilmavt7ank

I'm writing to you (AND WHO KNOWS HOW MANY MORE PEOPLE) to unite on one post - it doesn't need to be mine, but the problem we have is OURS , mutual! RAISE YOUR VOICE! You see that NOTHING is happening if we wait! IM TIRED OF WAITING! I just want to use a piece of hardware i payed out of my pocket - and now is just a USELESS thing.That serves for nothing!

ENABLE MY CARD - AMD , BY FIXING THOSE DAMN DRIVERS!!!!

I expect your reply,all of you i mention -and many more i did not.Post your problem AND MAKE YOURSELF HEARD!!!

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                  kingaslan

Yo, I'm glad that you are being proactive about this. All I want is confirmation that they are aware this is a problem and are working on it. If there has been one that I haven't seen then please link it, but yeah, AMD, please fix

ded@lus

I cant say they ignoring it - but also I dont see any fix yet. And I see this issue on Google A LOT.Been reading posts from you guys,here.. so i decided to make myself heard.To ask other to repost those issues - your story and your problem on your PC.

A reply from someone from AMD would be also good - to say they notice this and to give us a time frame> That is why I reach to you guys and I would like as many of you to share your story, again. I dont see this - as an KNOWN ISSUE.Or on the list of future fixes..

poys

Same issue here black screen after display driver installation. got Sapphire HD7850 2gb OC and yes tried everything, sadly nothing works. It's been almost a month for me now, even wondering if the next driver update will fix the issue, if not what then. Please give us update on this issue because if I'm not gonna here anything, I certainly am not going to buy any product from amd and wouldn't recommend to anyone.

ded@lus

Don't know what to respond to you.. I have the same problem.And the same "locked" card . And the same thing on my mind. Felt that I throw money away! If i didnt had an i5 4690k with IGPU I couldn't even use my PC! GUESS WHAT AMD!?! I dont have a spare card out of nothing!!! HAD TO BUY IT! Like I bought this one! To do what?!! To have it on my desk as an object, to colect dust!? Look how many people have the SAME PROBLEM! And who step out, on behalf your company? NO ONE! All "solutions" that you sugested and all the "fix-es" are didnt fix ANYTHING! No matter what you do after this you lost my thrust! As soon I fix this (or find a way for this card to work,because I dont want to screw someone else with the LOCKED card) this goes to second hand market! AND I NEVER BUY A PRODUCT FROM AMD!EVER! For a month I struggle to fix this tried ALL and still nothing! Well I just had enough!

And all others that stand behind this company, saying - our card is fenomenal,marvel,working fine- well guess what:

MINE WAS WORKING FINE,TOO AND THEN IT GOT LOCKED! SO I DONT CARE WHAT YOU SAY!! IF YOU ARE NOT HELPING<JUST AVOID THIS POST> BECAUSE IM ANGRY ENOUGH, WITHOUT YOUR "SMART" REPLYS!!!

faisalb4

my sympathy goes with you as my card has gone beyond to  this issue  as it is not even giving me the display as well as not even being detected by any PC i tested it on  2 pc's and the result was the same it was working fine before all this driver mess which happened right after crimson drivers back in november it all started with black screen issue during the driver installation and ended up with a card not even giving me the display

h_g_t

I just have the same problem since 10 days and it going more and more worse.

First Cities Sylines crashed with gren/blue screen....today even Firefox crashes when I open more than 1 tab!

I used the AMDCleanUpUtility and DDU, tried it with https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930 Update-Preventer...tried 14.4, 14.9,  14.12, 15.7, 15.7.1, 15.9, 15.9.1 Beta...

(System: Xeon E3-1231 v3, 16GB RAM, MSI Radeon R9 270X Gaming 4G on GA-Z97X-UD3H Board)

ded@lus

A rather costly solution - to this (even if I hate to give up for ANYTHING)

Use DDU - to remove any drivers

Open your case

Remove the card

Buy an NVIDA card of your choice

Conect the card

Install the drivers

Never look back or buy ANYTHING from AMD

I have all rights to say and post this, here. No rude talk. And didn't offend no one. Just a FAKT!

el3ktr0

Same problem here!!!

I have a MSI r9270x and never had any problem.

But since I update to windows 10 i have black screens (randomly) or several messages of Display driver stopped responding and has recovered.

h_g_t

Today I tested several things....

On my other System (AMD FX8350 4GHZ, 16GB RAM, Sapphire Radeon HD7800 2 GB, Win10 Pro) since Update from Win8.1 to Win10, Crimson crashes an restarts several times, but most time working on games.

I take the HD7800 to my primary system (Xeon E3-1231 v3, 16GB RAM on GA-Z97X-UD3H Board) - nothing working. I got wrong solutions, even when the right one was selected, got screen-flittering in various colurs and systemshutdowns. Tried drivers written above, cleaned all up with AMD cleaner and/or DDU.

Back the HD7800 in my other system: It works, even I got crashes from Crimson sometimes (surprisingly when using Office, Adobe etc.).

Put my MSI Radeon R9 270X Gaming back in my system...no chance. Screen crashes at log on screen....or wrong resoultion or/and colurs or/and stripes on desktop; e.a. selected 1280x1024 (native) resolution on primary screen, the resolution looks sometimes like 1024x768 or got more than 1280x1024, so the screen got black and system shut down or crashes.

I tried a Win10 rollback - Win10 reports a corruption and is not able to reroll. Combined with screen flickering, wrong colours and many other graphic-errors on Win10 Setup screen. Fantastic

I don't want to crash my secondary system, so I don't try the R9 270X in it.

Now I'm running a MSI N9700 512MB...and my primary system works. No errors. All fine.
                                            Only somewhat slowly at graphics

Normally, I would say, the R9 270X is broken. But the HD 7800 doesn't work on my primary but on the secondary system. Win10 is not able to repair the system, Win10 and Crimson is not able to set the right Displayresolutions and the R9 accidentally broke after the new crimson was installed?

That are too many coincidences

---> just a short update: after 2h working on my PC Win10 started to auto-update AMD Radeon Crimson Driver ...yes...Crimson Driver for the NVIDIA card! Installation got a failure, of course. But something goes really wrong with Win10 and Crimson 16.1.1

And yes, system was completeley cleaned up with DDU and AMDcleaner.

poys

yeah was hyped with that news too, finally new driver release. Then it failed. So much for the wait. Im getting impatient, I wonder if they are really doing something about this issue. Kinda disappointing really.

tomtalk24

In response to a few posts here.....

Report the issue and try 15.11.1 again to continue using your GPU.

Is anything coming up in Event Viewer? As your screen is crashing, it may have logged something?

Googling an issue will show up a lot of results, Google tends to do this.

This forum is user to user support, not AMD to user.

........ This is the best I can offer for now, as pages are being filled with pictures and capitals so isn't very clear.

faisalb4

Sir thanks a lot for at least seeing this post now coming to the point the whole scenario which happened with me follows the story

As " I was running windows 10 Pro x64 bit with Amd crimson driver 15.11.1 beta  on my AMD R9 270x when my system crashed playing the Dota 2 suddenly

I was greeted with a black screen instead of the Windows log-on screen. I quickly figured out that the GPU drivers were the problem here, so I cleaned them using DDU in safe mode and then tried a fresh install with the 15.7.1. During the installation of the driver, the screen went black again. I have tried many other previous and newer versions of various drivers but no luck . I did system restores of my previous build in windows 10 but always get the black screen with a system freeze.

Basically, the system runs fine with the basic Microsoft driver, but the very second I install any AMD driver (I have tried the current versions and older ones, over a year old), my screen goes black. No matter if I clean the drivers in safe mode with DDU or not, or if I used the device manager to directly update the driver, or let Windows update do its thing.

Right now my system specifications are

My PC specification is Intel 4th generation 4570 Core i5 3.2 GHz Intel DB85FL 8 gb RAM Crosair VS650 650 watt

I have found users with the same issue, dating over a year back, this seems to be widespread and no one knows a solution. When will there be a fix to get my GPU working again? What is the cause. Excact ETA on the fix pls, this should be the number one priority for the Catalyst team right now!

I have been using this card since 3 years everything everygame and every driver on every window was working fine before . I have also tried switching to windows 7, windows 8 , windows 8.1 but regardless of the amd display driver version the same isssue occours as soon as the display driver is installed,
                                                    I tried  multiple fixes suggested by AMD technical support the last fix which they provided was taking out my GPU out fix the registry using Ccleaner , reinsert the GPU and disable my Integrated gpu and install the driver, i followed this fix and since then my card is not even giving me the display which it was giving me previously at Microsoft display adapter, I reinserted the card to another PC but the same issue it is not being detected by the system neither it is giving me the display the issue remains the same  please suggest a fix

Thank you if you could help us

tomtalk24

Well with the black screen crash during installation of the drivers, I found doing the minimum install worked. Untick HDMI Audio Drivers, Raptr. Only tick the driver and whatever else the driver needs will be ticked.

If this still fails, and given it about a minute of crash time. Check if any device drivers have been installed on Windows by manually installing them with Device Manager > Properties > Update Drivers > Browse my computer for software > let me pick > If your devices is listed along with the Basic Display driver, try and install it. If it fails it will give a reason. If its not listed check the "compatible drivers" box and try looking for it. Again if this fails, you will need to check "events" and let us know what Windows is telling you, Device not started or whatever.

Remember to keep anti virus disabled and disabling all internet connections while the device is not installed. Windows will install drivers from Windows Updates, normally when your trying to install the latest and causes problems. It could even be why this is happening.

I think the problem here, as the only consistency seems to be Windows 10, is it may not be a driver alone issue.

Can I check, is this a clean install of Windows 10, or are we still using the upgrade from a previous OS kernel? It is very odd the GPU isn't working on a separate system. To add to all this I have recently formatted and all of my Crimson issues seem to have been resolved, Windows 10 seems more chaotic than it needs to be.

faisalb4

Sir i followed the same fix you provided long ago  when i was in contact with amd techical support through email they suggested the same but the black screen issue remain the same. Right now what can i do with my GPU in order to get display on it ? My card is not being detected by my system neither picking up display . I tested the GPU at my friends PC but sadly the GPU fans are only spinning but its is not giving the display

tomtalk24

That's cool, again I haven't and wont read pages of indirect complaining to see what you have all tried, not directed at you. So shooting the trouble spots. A few down, a few more to go

So what we have is a GPU that wont work at all on 2 completely different Windows 10 systems. The systems and drivers are always done cleanly. The card is installed into positon, plugged in, PC booted but no drivers other than the basic display driver will work. If you do get it installed it will crash the system, the screen will not render.

Are you able to disable the Intel GPU if you haven't already? This should only cause a problem with Windows 10/Crimson on laptops, but is a known issue.

How old is your GPU, I trust no flashing of bios' or anything else that may muck up Windows from identifying what it is? No obvious physical issues like burnt out PCB or anything?

When did the issue first start, what did you have going before the issue like driver or OS versions.

Again its likely you have done all of this but we are trouble shooting.

EDIT:

Reading your initial reply to me again, and thinking about the situation and how things happened. Its possible its hardware. Basic Display Drivers are 2D, so the GPU will be running at minimal clock, the most relaxed the GPU can be.

If we install the drivers, its crashing when the screen should just "flicker" when installing the AMD display drivers. Now what your getting is a total system lockup, no way for the OS to do anything like BSOD.

Just throwing it out there, but if the GPU is worn, the drivers install and crash when the GPU is running at full clock during installation. This would make sense for when you boot, and it locks after the Windows logo ends. The GPU will go to a higher clock once that logo finishes, more work, 32bit colour, 1080p resolution.

Just a theory.

Are you still under warranty? Who manufactured your card?

faisalb4

Sir , Yes i did disabled by Internal Intel GPU and i tried AMd driver versions including 13.9,14.2,14.9 ,15.7.1,15.9,15.10,15.12,15.11.1 16.1 The OS versions includes fresh install of windows 10 x64bit, windows 8 x64 , windows 8.1 x64, windows 7 x64 but the issue remain the same as always got black screen during the driver installation. Right now my GPU is not giving me the display i reinserted it multiple times and also tried at my friends PC but no display or detection at all after all this. Please tell me what to do to make my GPU give me the display and make it to work

tomtalk24

So this isolates the issue to be with the GPU itself. You could plug it into every PC on this forum and it probably wont work still? Would you agree.

Why Crimson has caused your GPU to fail on everything (if it did, you know better as have the issue) I don't understand. But again looking at the facts, you all install Crimson, then after no matter what driver, or however many OS installs you try, backups you restore, or totally separate system you test on. The card fails.

The card is likely done for. Again are you still under warranty? The best thing, and what looks like the only fix is, to get it replaced by the manufacture. It has to be something physical, caused by Crimson maybe, again I have no idea how or why.

I don't think anyone, AMD support, God, will be able to get your particular GPU working again, because you have explored every possibility. We have some support guys from different manufacturers on the forum, what brand is your GPU please.

faisalb4

Product HIS R9 270X Boost Clock 2GB GDDR5 Product Code H270XQM2G2M  I bought it back in December 2013 so the warranty period is over what else i can do. It's a 25K GPU and it has been 2 months since i am struggling at AMD forum for a fix for it with a hope that one day it will get back to work as before

tomtalk24

HIS don't have any reps here. Might be worth trying them for support too, but again if the card is failing on each system, OS, and driver. The card is likely to fault.

faisalb4

What else can be done, All things were fine until AMD released crimson driver and things started to go from bad to worst right now i am with a GPU which is not even giving me the display and not even being detected by the system  in windows or in BIOS . If there is a fault who is likely to fix that ?

tomtalk24

Lets say AMD Crimson has broken your GPU, again I cant confirm but have the pre rebrand of your GPU.

Depending on where you live in the world, you may have consumer protection laws. So even though you brought a GPU form HIS when you could have spent more for a better brand/better warranty. You may still be covered.

You will need to check all the terms you have agreed to, with Crimson and anything else you have agreed to. To check your rights.

You can then request a warranty from AMD or HIS again (I would try both personally), and explaining the situation. I know in the UK I would have a chance to claim, Trading Standards may have me covered because the product hasn't served a acceptable life period. But then we come back to the T&C that you agreed to that may contradict this by stating "AMD take no responsibility". I haven't read them myself.

Again all this is if your product has been broken by Crimson. Otherwise your GPU has had a good life, but its time to go in the bin. Seeing as it wont work on any system, or any combination on your PC. You could also try a local PC shop to test it.

ded@lus

Ok.. this is good.Its 1.5 yars @my system.. no damage.No hack or slash) Except games) Was working just fine on Windows 10 (in 2015) late.. and then came the first update.. and it screw my HDMI (at least i was thinking like that) I tought.. no problem... have a DVI lets hook the card that way..and voila!It worked on WIN 10 - would you belive? Then a second update (ecuse me but after all 15.1/15.12/ and similar variations i lost count.. i know it was in January 2016 that i had this persistant issues and then.. lights out. NO MATTER WHAT I DO blck screen. Pul out the card - uninstall the drivers (DDU) and try the clean install - and then to my surprise the HDMI that i was thinking it failed WORKED.Well thats pretty much ALL that worked from that time on! Long story short. Any atempt from me to use the old drivers ended up in black sceen and I really dont remeber how many times I tried this OVER AND OVER again. A LOT. Try this..try that..maybe is this...no its that... faulty BIOS, no its a board! No its Windows! NO - ITS DRIVERS! Up (on this post) you can see the sceen capture of the card - as seen by GPUz and that damn autoinstall - trying to download THE WRONG driver!Wich i dindt dowlnoad. Sorry if I made a mistake because English is not my language.. and sorry if I look as nervous - BECAUSE I AM) Honestly... I dont remeber opnening my case soo many times (if ever) and doing absolutely nothing! 

ded@lus

I tried with my friend's NVIDA grafic card. What you just described is SOO MANY STEPS, AND WITH PROPER DRIVERS IS JUST A BREEZ! Click install - where -  done! So it's up to me to belive that ANYTHING else than the problem itself - is a problem? Windows 10 is FAR from perfect, but those AMD drivers are mess! (they won't let me write the proper word)

ded@lus

Are you joking with me or what?! To Google for answer... To find more and more of the same! READ = it is as if my card is somehow disabled THE MOMENT I INSTAL  A-N-Y DRIVER. Don't you get it? What else there is to explain.. Clean install, DDU in safe mode.. the card is shown as generic - after 8/10% of installation THE SCREEN GOES BLACK! I'm not copy/pasting the same issue from other posts - WE HAVE THE SAME ISSUE! Don't want to sound ungrateful because you wrote back to us - trying to help. But this is not a recent problem or something new, Internet is full with same stories. And I'm very angry and frustrated at the same time - because SOMEHOW IT'S ALWAYS OUR FAULT, NO MATTER WHAT! Losing hope to see this one resolved. Definitely will never buy a grafic card from AMD - no matter what they do or say! That's how you lose me as a customer AMD! But I don't think you care (it looks like this) but you will - once the scale goes all the way to NVIDA. But guess what? No one will remember your brand. This happened over and over again! And customers are not stupid and we have choices! AMD is already losing ground and building bad reputation! Because things like this!