2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 5, 2016 11:39 AM by teknut71

Rise of the Tomb Raider - Crossfire Hitching with 16.1.1 Driver

uiucaero

RotTR works well with Crossfire with 16.1.1 except that in some places I get some hitching (hopefully I'm using the right term), which really disrupts gameplay.  The fps drops from 60 to about 38 for a second or two and the game stutters.  It's always in the same places and I can repeat it over and over.  For example, there's a cave in the Soviet Installation with a puddle and 2 wolves and I experience the hitching/stutter every time I step into the puddle coming toward it from the cave entrance.  There are many places like that I've encountered so far.  I've tried adjusting every setting from highest to lowest and it still happens in the same spots.  I also tried overclocking my CPU to 4.6GHz and it happens either way.  I play at 1440p but it happens at 1080p as well.

Specs:

ROG Maximus Hero VIII

i7 6700k w/ H110i GT

R9 295x2

16GB DDR4 3400

1200W psu

Windows 10 Pro

Is there anything I can do to reduce or eliminate this issue?

• Re: Rise of the Tomb Raider - Crossfire Hitching with 16.1.1 Driver
          tsukura

Same thing is happening for me. But the hitching is so frequent I am unable to play the game in crossfire using this driver. If I roll back to a driver that does not support RotTR, for example 15.11.1 Catalyst, there is some flickering, but generally Xfire performance is good - so go figure, something is really wrong somewhere with this supposed new hotfix.

It also crashes frequently for no reason. I've uninstalled it and rolled back a couple of drivers back to Catalyst, because these Crimson drivers are garbage.

• Re: Rise of the Tomb Raider - Crossfire Hitching with 16.1.1 Driver
            teknut71

The Crimson 16.1.1 Hotfix has resolved my issues with Rise of the Tomb Raider. In some areas of the map there will be random frame rate drops 59fps -> 24fps only for a few secs.

But overall the game is much more playable then with the previous drivers (16.1).

I would like to note that "Rise of the Tomb Raider" was updated yesterday with some new features (Nvidia breaking things) and now my frame rates are cut in half????!

I haven't' changed any up the settings in the game. Currently set to "High" with FXAA and Vsync enabled.

59fps before update...

32fps after update... ????

I'm running Rise of the Tomb Raider in Crossfire(R9 290's) on a Samsung 4k monitor with freesync on, my system specs are below.

------------------

System Information

------------------

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 10586) (10586.th2_release.151121-2308)

System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.

System Model: Z97X-Gaming 7

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz

Memory: 32768MB RAM

---------------

Display Devices

---------------

Card name: AMD Radeon R9 290 Series

Display Memory: 24457 MB

Dedicated Memory: 8150 MB

Shared Memory: 16306 MB

Current Mode: 3840 x 2160 (32 bit) (64Hz)

Monitor Model: U28E590

Native Mode: 3840 x 2160(p) (64.006Hz)

------------------------

Disk & DVD/CD-ROM Drives

------------------------

Drive: C:

Model: Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB

Drive: D:

Model: Samsung SSD 840 EVO 1TB

Drive: E:

Model: ST2000DM001-1CH164

Drive: F: