Latest reply on Feb 3, 2016 by vinnieh

Graphics card: Radeon R9 290 4GB OC DirectCU II

Drivers tested: 15.12, 16.1.1 Hotfix, 15.11.1 Beta, 15.7.1

Operating system: Windows 10 64-bit

CPU: Intel LGA1155 Core i5-3470 Quad core 3.2 Ghz

Motherboard: MSI B75MA-P45

Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 1000W G2

System Memory: 8GB DDR3

Hi! Ever since just before Christmas Eve I've had trouble with the driver crashing. Most of the time it doesn't recover and I have to restart my PC, other times the monitors flicker or go black for a few seconds before they return to normal (although no message about the driver having crashed and then recovered appears). It happens randomly - when I'm playing games (both demanding and non-demanding), browsing, writing in Word, idling... the PC still runs, but the driver is dead. How often it happens is also random, although the last few days it has happened all the time - 2-10 minutes after boot, no matter what - instead of once a day or every third day.

I have tried with different drivers, first re-installing the current one (15.12), then the latest beta, 15.7.1, 16.1.1 hotfix, back to 15.7.1, 15.12 again, to no avail. I've made sure to clean uninstall each time using first AMD's uninstaller, then DDU and CCleaner. I have tried with different monitors in case the VERY old ones I had was the problem, also to no avail (I now have two brand new ones). I have not tried changing any voltage or speed or anything like that, don't want to play with that, so all such values are standard. Now I'm at a loss.

As my old power supply (850W) broke down and caused a short circuit just a couple of days before the problem started, I'm worried that it may have damaged the graphics card somehow. Even so, I want to check if the driver crashing like this is a known - and hopefully, fixable - issue before I contact the store I bought the graphics card at.

Anyone know of a possible solution? Or is my card now defective?

Outcomes