1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 2, 2016 8:13 PM by techguy

FX8350 stock clock/VID/cooler, overheating

turmelus

Greetings fellow AMD users,

I got myself an AMD FX8350 Black ED (Vishera) slightly more than two year ago, and it has been running since then with the stock cooler (which is, to put it bluntly, noisier than a jet fighter and not very effective)

First, let me give you a link toward my DXDIAG so you can have a quick overview of my system : Dropbox - DxDiag.txt

If I recall right, my mobo is an AsRock 970x extreme 4, and I remember that I downloaded a new bios version when I installed the CPU

The problem is, I keep reading everywhere that if my core temperature go over 70° for a prolonged period, my CPU is toast, and that recomended running temp is between 62 & 65°c, while my CPU is ALWAYS at 68° under load (core temp given by Coretemp, Speedfan and Hwmonitor), and can go higher (like right now it's at 70°c coretemp while running Kerbal Space Program + Firefox + Coretemp, it even maxed at 75°c for a little while)

In the BIOS, it says temp is 78°c !!!!!

I'm guessing that is not normal running temp, right ?

Precision : I'm living under a tropical climat, norm are 30°c 365/365days, and 80%+ humidity, so while I can't have the air conditionner all day long, I have it at night, and I have a standing fan blowing air directly in the case (I tried running the CPU when the case is closed with stock ventilation, but no way i'm doing this again, temps went off chart I thought I was going to toast my CPU right after buying it.)

Temperatures givens were taken with air conditionner set at 22°c and the standing fan doing the air flow.

• Re: FX8350 stock clock/VID/cooler, overheating
          techguy

The OEM fans shipped with CPUs are low cost units intended to provide sufficient cooling for the typical installation. Many enthusiasts purchase a larger HSF that uses a 120mm fan that runs at low speed but moves enough air to fully cool the CPU even under maximum load. Other people install a larger HSFs because they hate the annoying fan noise on the OEM fans that need to run around 5,000 RPM to provide enough air flow to cool the CPU under max load. Your ambient operating environment is towards the extreme and obviously contributes to higher than normal CPU temps with the heat and humidity so a larger HSF may be exactly what you need to lower both noise and CPU temp.

The link below has a excellent database on CPU coolers that might be helpful if you decide to switch CPU coolers. Any of the top ~10 HSFs in the AMD section will cool an FX-8350 without any problems. (Scroll down to see the AMD section as HSFs perform differently on different brands of CPUs).

Top 5 Heatsink Charts on FrostyTech.com

Your CPU core temp readings may not be accurate as the FX processors start to lower the CPU frequency at 70C to prevent thermal damage. Unless at 70+ C you are seeing the CPU frequency drop under full load in real time or with a monitoring applet that records CPU frequency, load and core temp, your CPU is not likely to be running as hot as indicated. 61C appears to be the max operating temp for the FX series CPUs but AMD has failed to post any FX model CPU max operating temps on their website after the FX-8150 model.  More than likely you would see system crashes, BSOD, etc. when your CPU reaches the mid-60C range. At ~80C your CPU should shut off completely to protect itself from burning up.