20 Replies Latest reply on Feb 18, 2016 7:43 PM by famousrob

Issues since installing Catalyst drivers - ALL games crashing (R9 285)

famousrob

Hi all,

I spoke to someone at AMD care who said I should post this here!

My setup: Win 8.1, Pentium Anniversary Edition @ 3.2-4.2 ghz, ASRock Pentium Anniv Mobo, Sapphire R9 285 2gb, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD, TV as Monitor running at 1080p.

My PC and graphics card have been working flawlessly for about a year on a range of games.

I bought Fallout 4, and experienced the occasional crash, so I updated to the latest Catalyst drivers at the time (I think 15.11) - and installed the Gaming Advanced (Raptr) software.

Ever since then, Fallout has been crashing constantly. It seemed like it was getting worse and worse until it would run for about a minute at best. Sometimes it wouldn't even boot at all, and when it did, it would sometimes crash the entire machine. When it went back to Windows it would usually say 'AMD driver crashed but has recovered'.

I tried the latest Catalyst Beta, which has made no difference.

I then tried the latest Fallout 4 Beta, which made no difference.

In addition, Steam games which worked flawlessly for 12 months, were now crashing too: Borderlands 2, Grid Autosport.

I then uninstalled Advanced Gaming (Raptr) software, which DID make a difference. Not stopping crashing, but reducing the frequency, allowing me to play Fallout for about 20 minutes before crashing, and Grid for about 30 mins (whereas with Raptr installed but not even running, it crashed after 2 mins)

Finally I tried playing some non Steam games to see how they were affected now things had improved slightly.

I played NFS Rivals for about 30 mins with no crash.

I then played Battlefield 4 for about 90 mins, running perfectly (Ultra @ 1080p) until it crashed - sending the whole system to black and requiring me to clear CMOS/BIOS before I could get my PC working again, which was 10 mins ago...

So!

If anyone can help me it would be much much appreciated. I have never had any other problems with this PC before.

I expect trying to reinstall the older drivers might be a good first step now, but all advice welcomed.

Thanks

Rob

• Re: Issues since installing Catalyst drivers - ALL games crashing (R9 285)
          amdmatt

Which version of the Crimson drivers are you using?

You can roll back to a pre Crimson driver here, Catalyst 15.11.1 Beta. That may resolve your issue with the Crimson drivers.

famousrob

Thanks Matt.

I'm currently on the latest beta as recommended by AMDCare on twitter.

Radeon Software 16.1 / Driver 15.301.1201 is what comes up in the Radeon Settings software.

Today however there has been a development.

Deleting Raptr reduced crashing - today I went one step further and deleted all of its mentions from the RegKey. I then closed the Radeon Settings app.

After which I was able to use Fallout 4 with no crashing for almost 2 hours (inc 30 mins paused), and ran Grid Racedriver on Benchmark for around 2 hours with no crashing.

I'm not yet sure which of these things (del Raptr Reg or closing Radeon Setting tray) caused the improvement - but I am going to test this tomorrow.

If any issues remain I'll try installing the old drivers. If you have any further pointers while I test that would be great.

Regards

Rob

amdmatt

Thanks for the update Rob, good to hear that you may have fixed it by shutting down the AMD GE App.

famousrob

Ok so I'm pretty sure this is a hardware issue with the GPU now.

Uninstalling all AMD software and drivers then installing catalyst drivers didn't work. (Crashed grid to black - with broken bios - the second the main game started)

Uninstalling all amd aoftware and drivers and installing crimson (no hot fix) seemed working. I left Grid running on benchmark for three hours, and managed four hours of fallout 4 with no issues. Yet after a  couple of hours of net browsing and watching some you tube videos, I went to restart Fall out 4 and it crashed to black and broke the bios AGAIN...

Nothing seems to permanently fix this, and the fact that it repeatedly crashes to black, forcing me to to jump the bios suggests a serious issue.

Windows reliability monitor says a number of the crashes are 'video hardware error' - someone on the Reddit hardware help forum said it sounded like a graphics ram issue.

As mentioned before, no other software that doesn't involve using the graphics card in a significant way (I.e.: 3D games) causes any crashing or problems whatsoever.

Do you think I should RMA my card?

(it's still under 2yr warranty with Sapphire)

waltc

Another tip for you: When installing the Crimsons from now on, you are presented with an install screen where you can uncheck Rptr installation so that it won't be installed at all--so that you don't have to do all that back-tracking and registry hunting & pecking every time you install a driver.  I have nothing against Rptr, but I never use it myself as I prefer to setup each game myself. The selective AMD install in the Crimson interface is nicely done, I think, as it clearly shows you which components are being installed and allows you to pick and choose the driver components you want as well as those you don't want. (In the Catalysts you had to choose the correct install mode in order to do that--in the Crimsons you get it every time.)

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      famousrob

ok! So despite everything seeming to be better yesterday, today it was back to crashing all the time.

So I uninstalled Crimson drivers and then installed the Catalyst 15.11 drivers.

Now Fallout 4 crashes back to Windows on boot up, and Grid Racedriver crashes my machine to black (and now I have to reset bios) as soon as it got to the main racing screen.

:/

famousrob

Update: 6th Feb

After catalyst driver crashed machine to black and stopped it booting, have reset cmos, uninstalled catalyst and reinstalled Crimson - but not the latest hotfix.

So far no crashes but Fallout 4 wouldn't boot until I did a second reboot.

starting to think it could be a hardware issue with my gpu?

amdmatt

If you can try the GPU on a different system and the same crashing occurs, then it could be faulty.

If you can, i would recommend trying a fresh Windows Installation  fully updating Windows. Install the latest AMD 16.1.1 Hotfix driver and try playing some Fallout 4 or GRID. Ensure you have not installed any other software apart from Windows updates, AMD drivers and the games themselves. Does the crashing still occur then?

famousrob

That will be difficult, I'll have to see if I have a memory stick large enough for all my important files so I could reinstall Windows.

I don't have a spare machine to test, maybe I could take it to the place of purchase and ask them to test, as they would have to deal with the RMA anyway.

As I say, I never had any issues at all pre Fallout 4 and updating the AMD drivers/software.

amdmatt

If it's just fallout 4 that is crashing then i think the GPU is unlikely to be faulty.

famousrob

It's not just Fallout 4.

Borderlands 2, Battlefield 4 and Grid Autosport have all crashed, and they worked perfectly for the first 12 months or so before this issue. The latter two (as well as fallout) have caused crashes to black requiring cmos reset. this is both before and after uninstalling all drivers and reinstalling catalyst.

Doing another uninstall and reinstalling Crimson didn't work. So I've now uninstalled and reinstalled with Crimson and the latest hot fix. So far no crashes to black, but Fallout did crash to desktop once.

amdmatt

And you've also tried rolling back to an older Catalyst driver such as 15.11.1 Beta and 15.7.1?

famousrob

Tried:

catalyst 15.11.1 beta

crimson

crimson with hot fix

All have crashed to black, most of them on multiple games. (Fallout 4 ran ok for over 4 hours on Crimson with hot fix, but just crashed to black/broken cmos a few mins ago.

I haven't tried 15.7.1. Will try that next.

amdmatt

What game resolution, image quality and full screen settings are you using?

Are you using a second screen, watching video at the same time as you play, etc?

Please try underclocking the core of your 285 by 100Mhz to see if that reduces the crashing.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                                      famousrob

1080p (1920 X 1080) on single screen. Kogan HD TV, through Dvi (gpu) to hdmi (tv) cable. Worked fine with grid, euro truck sim 2, saints row 4, borderlands 2, wreckfest alpha and battlefield 4 prior this issue.

Settings for grid/Battlefield4/Borderlands2 are pretty much maximum (ultra but with one or two settings on high) as it runs smoothly at those settings.

Settings for Fallout 4 are mostly high with some on ultra (it defaults to Ultra, but at reduced resolution) - this is generally smooth but can get jerky when viewing lots of scenery. It seems to get slightly more jerky the longer I play it, and more so at night/rain (I turned rain occlusion off). I also lowered God Rays to low as I know this struggles on amd cards.

Not using anything else at the same time bar avast free edition.

When I had Radeon setting app installed I tried using overdrive to lower it but it still crashed. (Not 100% sure it actually altered the clocks though as system monitor said usual speeds when I tried it once alongside fallout.

i will retry under clocking and the earlier driver when I get clear my CMOS, as it takes about 30 goes to get it to work each time...!

famousrob

Latest update:

Had to remove graphics card to reset CMOS, so have used this as a chance to test running using the onboard graphics chip (Intel hd3000 on the pentium chip). To see if it could be a fault of another component.

Been running grid Autosport benchmark and borderlands 2 practically continuously for 11 and a half hours with no crash. Four of those hours have been with the CPU running at significant overclock on the unlocked motherboard (4.2ghz compared to usual 3.2ghz)

Fallout isnt able to run on the onboard card so haven't been able to test that. But the grid and borderlands performance does suggest that it's definitely a gfx hardware or software fault with the 285/drivers.

famousrob

Update::

------

Installed 15.7.1.

No crashes on borderlands 2, grid Autosport, NFS most wanted or battlefield 4.

Tried with both 10% underclock and 10% overclock

However fallout 4 crashes to Windows on boot every time.

----------

Now used DDU to remove driver, and reinstalled 15.11 beta.

#10% underclock:

Grid Racedriver - run for over 12 hrs ok

Borderlands 2 - run for several hours ok

Fallout 4 - crashes to Windows on boot

Battlefield 4 - ran with major stutters and jerky fps even at reduced settings

#Normal speed:

Grid - run for several hours ok

Borderlands 2 - run for several hours ok, occasional stutter

Battlefield 4 - 2 hrs ok, then froze but could go back to Windows

#Overclock 10%

Grid - Ran 10 hrs in benchmark ok

Battlefield 4 - 3 hrs no crash

---------

Crimson - no hot fix (used DDU to uninstall catalyst)

10% underclock

Grid - 12 hrs benchmark no crash

Fallout 4 - 6 hours then crash to Windows ('amd display driver crashed  but recovered' message - similar to previously, but no crashes to black so far), another 2 hours then crashes to windows. 2.5 hrs today before crash to windows.

when it crashes the screen seems to glitch part of the screen in red, it also does this sometimes when changing resolution... Not sure if this is linked?

Also: Ran Memtest86 which found no faults with CPU or RAM.