6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 1, 2016 2:01 AM by dfdumont

Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 & FX9590 woes

mrcow20

I need some help please.  I recently advised a good friend of mine to upgrade Phenom x3 to the FX9590.  He has the same board as me, the Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 rev4, however upon installing the CPU and powering up, it doesn't even get to the BIOS post.

We've tried re-seating everything, putting things back one by one etc.  Weirdly, he put his old CPU back in and it's still doing the same.  Any ideas?

Worst case is that we can't fix it, if that's the case then what is a good mobo that works out of the box? (no BIOS flash needed) please?

MrCow20

• Re: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 & FX9590 woes
          techguy

You say no BIOS flash please? Does that mean that you've installed the F3 BIOS already? If so did it install without errors? Did you try clearing CMOS?

mrcow20

We didn't flash the BIOS on the old mobo (yes schoolboy error).  Having gone back to the old CPU to do just that, it does exactly the same and doesn't post.  We're stuck.

Where I said no BIOS flash, I mean with the replacement if there is one that works out of the box? Again assuming no other alternative.

MrCow20

techguy

The only way an out-of-the box mobo would support the FX-9590 is if the mobo maker had installed the newer BIOS before shipping the mobo or if the BIOS is updated before installing a newer CPU model not supported by the originally installed BIOS. Depending on when the mobo was manufactured usually determines what BIOS version is installed.

You may have a corrupted BIOS chip from installing the FX-9590? That mobo should have a dual BIOS set-up that you may want to investigate. You also need to clear CMOS if you haven't done so as everything could be conflicting by placing the FX-9590 in the system without the correct BIOS capable of identifying it. Gigabyte should have info. in the manual how to switch the BIOS. If all fails you might be forced to return the mobo to Gigabyte customer support. I'd at least file a tech support ticket with Gigabyte to see if they can assist you.

747mech

If you have already tried clearing the CMOS by the jumper or pulling the battery for a minute and you still can't get it to post with the old CPU, you are most likely out of luck. You could try pulling the Mobo out and try it out of the case with just the GPU installed (just to be sure it isn't shorted somewhere), double check that the cpu pins aren't bent etc. I had an issue with a board that wouldn't post with the GPU in PCIe slot 1, finally put it in slot 2 and got it to at least boot. Your Mobo has to have bios rev F3 installed to support the FX 9xxx series. I'm currently running the 990FXA-UD3 R5 and the FX-9370 and it's been working great for me.

Good luck!

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  747mech

Here's a link for info on the Gigabyte Dual Bios, should go to default backup on your next boot.  --GIGABYTE--DUAL BIOS WEB

dfdumont

I have exactly the same issue with a Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 Ultra.  The first one I got wouldn't even power up, as in "is it plugged in?"  The replacement mobo at least powered on, as in the fans spin, but the monitor shows "No signal".  I've tried two different video cars, and both the VGA and HDMI outputs on both.  Nothing.  At this point I'm thinking something amiss with compatibility with the FX9590 itself.  No post, no blink on the screen, no turn-up of the video adapter at all.  What are your thoughts?

BTW the video cards were both MSI GeForce GT 730, one with 2GB, 64bit and the other with 4GB, 128bit.