5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 31, 2016 5:43 AM by tomtalk24

AMD display driver problem

somnium

Hello,

I have a Toshiba Satellite L850-1j9 (PSKG8E-02D00KCE) working with i7-3630QM and a AMD Radeon HD 7670M.

The problem is, I'm not able to install the Display Driver from AMD. When I try to install the software and drivers this problem appears: https://youtu.be/AOiPq8WVz_M

The first time this happen I was using Win 10. I did the update to win 10 one month ago and everything was ok until 4 days ago. I was working with my laptop with a external screen connected by HDMI and suddenly the screen started flashing with some green lines and a black backgroud (something as you can see in the video).

I saw in the internet that some people had problems doing the update to win10 so I installed again windows 8 to see if was something related with win10 but the problem persists.

I tried install the GPU from the intel CPU, a Intel 4000HD graphic card, but is not possible use it as a main GPU. I got this problem: "This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)"
      Now I just can use my laptop with "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter"

I need help please to understand what can I do to fix this problem. I took a look through internet and until now I did find any solution that could fix my problem.

Thanks for your help.

• Re: AMD display driver problem
          tomtalk24

Take a look in device manager, GPU > Properties > Events and see if Windows might have updated anything. 10 had some annoying practices with drivers.

Create a system restore point, and then do a clean install.

How to perform a clean driver install

Clean install of AMD Crimson - YouTube

somnium

Hey,

Thanks for your answer. In this moment I'm using the windows 8.1. As you can see in this print screen, I don't have the AMD GPU installed. If I install the AMD display driver happen what you can see in this video: https://youtu.be/AOiPq8WVz_M

Device Manager.png

With intel 4000HD I have this problem:Intel GPU event.png

Thanks

tomtalk24

I see. Initially with the video I would think memory issue, but thats far from evident. Im sure you know, the discrete GPU takes over when on the mains or running a 3D application, controlled by the OS.

I'm not as knowledgeable with laptops as saykingfish but my understanding is from here...

• Download the latest Intel iGPU drivers and the latest AMD drivers for your system and save to desktop.
                  • Uninstall everything with DDU choose Intel and AMD one after the other. Antivirus off and Internet devices disabled.
                  • When your back in Windows, install the Intel drivers first reboot and then the AMD drivers.
                  • When your back again, turn on AV and enable your internet and rejoin the matrix.

This should sort it, its some conflict with Windows 10 and the driver installation timing, my guess is Windows has updated the Intel and thrown everything else out.

Keep us posted with your results. I hope it works out.

somnium

Hey

Thanks for your tips. I did everything as you said but doesn't work.

When I installed the intel drivers the same problem appears; Code 31.

When I install the last drivers from AMD the problem that you see in the video, the black screen with different kinds of lines flashing :/

In the end, the only way to run the computer is running in "safe modo" and disnable the AMD card. I can install all packadge from AMD less the display driver.

Also I can't open the software from intel (Intel® HD Graphics Control Panel). I open, appears if I want to run, and after click "run" but nothing happen.

Do you think this problem can be a question of hardware instead be a problem with the driveres itself?

Because I tried install linux to see what could happen and I had the same problem :/

It's possible do something if it's a hardware problem? My AMD GPU is not separete from the motherboard

Thanks for your help

All the best!

tomtalk24

If you haven't formatted, you might be able to find a System Restore Point from earlier that worked. You could roll back to that.

A format back to how the system was when you brought it might be a good solution. I cant think why the Intel GPU isnt playing nice. Or why the AMD is being effected. If its still not working then, it would indicate a hardware issue with the laptop itself.

Its fairly mind bending this one.