4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 15, 2016 2:38 PM by sgtt8ie

Thanks for the Xmas Wishlist gift!

sgtt8ie

goodies 012.JPG

The lovely Asus R9 Nano White Edition that I won during the Xmas AMD Wishlist competition arrived today!  It's already created a bit of jealousy with the Darkside claiming it's power for their own nefarious purposes.  Who can blame them?

I will be installing the R9 Nano into my current Echelon ITX rig shortly & will run benchmarks to show how much of a monumental upgrade this is from my HD7950.

Thanks again to AMD for running the competition & for selecting me to be one of the winners!

Best of luck to everybody in the upcoming giveaways!

• Re: Thanks for the Xmas Wishlist gift!
          blazek

That Nano thinks its a storm trooper

arcticwind

so will we get to see some numbers later from you're fully operational battle station....

sgtt8ie

FS NAno.jpg

First FireStrike Run that actually went through without timing issues (damned Windows 7 Aero performance notifications!)

As shown the graphics card isn't recognised by 3DMark - maybe because of it being the White Edition?  But damn, it feels good to go from 58% mark to 86%!  My previous MSI HD7950 was hitting around the 7000 mark.

The card itself is definitely a hot running beasty and with the fans set to avoid too much thermal throttling it's plenty loud, but I used ot live with a single fan XFX HD6950 & as long as any new card is quieter than that jet engine I'm happy. I can actually get hold of a thermal imaging camera through my work so maybe I'll be able to take some photos of it in action.

There is definitely coil whine present, it presents itself as a high pitched buzz as opposed to a squeal.  But I am working out ways to minimise it, locking framerate back down to my monitor's 60Hz minimises it quite a bit, but unfortunately on some loading/title screens it runs away nevertheless (I'm looking at you Valley exit screen).

I will post more results as I make them.