1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 28, 2016 5:09 PM by atlasminor

Black Screen before Login Windows 10

blackscreenonwindows10

I've been trying to deal with this issue for a while now. It first appeared yesterday.

Essentially, just after the black screen with the blue windows icon and the spinning dots, I get a black screen. I also get login sounds through headphones. Sometimes I get a white mouse cursor that I can move. Sometimes I don't. Sometimes the white mouse cursor moves for a bit, then freezes.

The graphics card is a Radeon HD7900

The monitor is a BenQ GL2450, connected via DVI ports.

Here's some things I've tried:

1. 1.     Leaving it for half an hour before trying again.
      2. 2.     Power-cycling (switching it off and on again).
      3. 3.     Pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del to bring up task manager (still a black screen).
      4. 4.     Starting my computer with everything unplugged except the monitor (still a black screen).
      5. 5.     Trying to log-in blind by pressing ctrl, then typing my password, then pressing enter, then waiting a bit, pressing enter again, typing my password again, and pressing enter (in case there was some error). Still a black screen.
      6. 6.     Starting in safe mode, going to the device manager, choosing my display adapter and checking for updates (it says I'm fully up-to-date).
      7. 7.     Pressing "Windows key + P" to check if it's trying to display on a different monitor.
      8. 8.     Plugging my screen into my motherboard's output rather than my graphics card (still black).
      9. 9.     Starting in safe mode, going to the device manager, choosing my display adapter and uninstalling the driver before rebooting.
      10. 10.  Starting in safe mode, going to the device manager, choosing my display adapter and rolling back the driver to a previous version.
      11. 11.  "Resetting" my Windows, keeping user files (currently doing this, but it got to 100% and I've been staring at a black screen for about half an hour now).

When I encountered this issue yesterday, it was resolved by power-cycling. I was then able to install and play 3D games, so I don't think the graphics card is utterly fried, but you guys probably know better than me.

Any suggestions?

Let me know if you need any more details.

• Re: Black Screen before Login Windows 10
          atlasminor
          1. 11.  "Resetting" my Windows, keeping user files (currently doing this, but it got to 100% and I've been staring at a black screen for about half an hour now).

You need to Clean Install windows-10 posted officially by microsoft to fix this Black-Screen problem.

Keep Nothing OR Clean install. Keeping your files is just bad and its not only leaving everything in your registry, its leaving installed software on the system with no way to uninstall/remove them.

Head to microsoft support, pull down the many solutions for this, until you run into the one that directs you to Re-install Windows-10.

I had this happen to me, and it really was about the only thing that could be done.

Article found here, please go through all of it.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_devices/black-screen-on-windows-10-tp/df615836-ec…

Good news is its not a driver issue, well i mean its possible but not in your case, you saw / see Safe-mode and if had the knowledge could have possibly cleared up the issue.