I've been trying to deal with this issue for a while now. It first appeared yesterday.
Essentially, just after the black screen with the blue windows icon and the spinning dots, I get a black screen. I also get login sounds through headphones. Sometimes I get a white mouse cursor that I can move. Sometimes I don't. Sometimes the white mouse cursor moves for a bit, then freezes.
The graphics card is a Radeon HD7900
The monitor is a BenQ GL2450, connected via DVI ports.
Here's some things I've tried:
- 1. Leaving it for half an hour before trying again.
- 2. Power-cycling (switching it off and on again).
- 3. Pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del to bring up task manager (still a black screen).
- 4. Starting my computer with everything unplugged except the monitor (still a black screen).
- 5. Trying to log-in blind by pressing ctrl, then typing my password, then pressing enter, then waiting a bit, pressing enter again, typing my password again, and pressing enter (in case there was some error). Still a black screen.
- 6. Starting in safe mode, going to the device manager, choosing my display adapter and checking for updates (it says I'm fully up-to-date).
- 7. Pressing "Windows key + P" to check if it's trying to display on a different monitor.
- 8. Plugging my screen into my motherboard's output rather than my graphics card (still black).
- 9. Starting in safe mode, going to the device manager, choosing my display adapter and uninstalling the driver before rebooting.
- 10. Starting in safe mode, going to the device manager, choosing my display adapter and rolling back the driver to a previous version.
- 11. "Resetting" my Windows, keeping user files (currently doing this, but it got to 100% and I've been staring at a black screen for about half an hour now).
When I encountered this issue yesterday, it was resolved by power-cycling. I was then able to install and play 3D games, so I don't think the graphics card is utterly fried, but you guys probably know better than me.
Let me know if you need any more details.