0 Replies Latest reply on Jan 28, 2016 8:35 AM by vietname

Fixing Microstutter in R9 390? (MSI) (Crimson 16.1)

vietname

I'm noticing microstutter in a number of games, including The Wolf Among Us, The Long Dark, Divinity: Original Sin: Enhanced Edition, Wolfenstein: The New Order, and Euro Truck Simulator 2. In addition, about once a week my computer randomly hangs and I get a black screen, no input, and looping/stuttering sound. This happens for a few seconds, then returns to desktop accompanied by graphical artifacts (screenshot here). Rebooting fixes the artifacts. This problem happened on both Windows 7 SP1 and Windows 10.

Troubleshooting: I've tried rolling back to 15.11 CCC and going back to Crimson 16.1, both by using DDU to wipe the drivers completely. I've also tried limiting the framerate both via in-game options and via Crimson's frame rate control to 60fps, neither eliminated the stutter. I've checked temperatures and CPU use while the stutter/hangs occur, and both are within normal limits. Clockblocker fixed the issue for some games, but I tried playing Portal last night and noticed it again, about once every 60 frames.