4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 29, 2016 6:45 AM by zkeng

amd athlon without gpu

zkeng

I bought an AMD Athlon X4 840 to use in a headless server, but I can not get the system to boot without a GPU connected.

I used another CPU/APU (A10 5700 with integrated GPU) to install the system and setup remote SSH login, but when I swap the processors the system will not boot.

Is it correct that the Athlon chip should not boot without a connected GPU or is the cpu faulty. It was delivered with a bent pint that I had to bend back before installling it, so that might be the cause if the cpu is supposed to be able to run on a headless system without a GPU.

Thanks four your input!

//Mikael

• Re: amd athlon without gpu
          amdmatt

That's expected behaviour, the Athlon X4 840 does not have a GPU inside it like an APU.

zkeng

Thanks four your answer @amdmatt.

I know that this CPU does not have an onboard GPU and I do not need any graphics or display, because it is a headless server. So for my part the GPU is totally obsolete.

But... Is what you are saying that it is impossible to boot even a headless server system without a GPU because this CPU will refuse to boot without a connected GPU by manufacturing design?

zkeng

Ok found the answer from the Debian operating system forum:

PCs won't boot without some sort of video adapter available. No monitor needs to be connected, but the video adapter has to be there. If the motherboard doesn't have on-board video, a video card needs to be present.