AnsweredAssumed Answered

HDMI Output Port on R9 380 Randomly Dies During Games

Question asked by cmutmack on Jan 28, 2016
Latest reply on May 13, 2016 by rokim

Some Background:

So I was having issues with my display driver crashing starting about November (my computer is very new, <1 year old). On certain games, my display driver would frequently and randomly crash, my game would crash, and I would be kicked to the desktop. This would happen infrequently--maybe 1x/hour. Never during light use (web browsers, etc.) does this happen.

Where I Am Now:

I started having more frequent crashes in a different game starting this week. Sometimes, this would happen in less than a minute of starting the game. I decided to uninstall (in safe mode, etc.) and reinstall the drivers to see if that would fix my display driver crashing problem. Now, I have a different and much worse problem (and my computer is basically useless for gaming now)--

Now, instead of my display driver dying, the HDMI port dies, and as far as I can tell, there is no way to recover from this aside from restarting my computer. So basically, whenever I want to play this game, I have to restart my computer within 5 min of the game loading.

What I Want To Know:

How do I fix this? I spent quite a bit of money on my computer, and it pretty much won't work.

What I Have Done For Debug So Far:

1. Uninstalled (in safe mode) and reinstalled drivers--this made the problem worse
  2. Did a power supply rating calculation--no issues here
  3. Checked my drivers to make sure they are latest

Questions I Have:

• Could this be an issue with my surge protector? --But wouldn't this cause my entire computer to crash...

System Specs:

OS - Windows 10 Home (x64) Version 1511 (build 10586.63)

Graphics Card - XFX Double Dissipation R9 380 (Drivers are up to date)

CPU - 3.50 gigahertz Intel Core i5-4690K

Power Supply - EVGA 600 B1 80+ BRONZE, 600W

Not Overclocked

Desktop

Outcomes