AnsweredAssumed Answered

worried about how to remove video card

Question asked by joez on Jan 27, 2016
Latest reply on Jan 27, 2016 by arcticwind

I have on my Dell XPS desktop- a AMD Radeon HD R9 270 2 GB GDDR5 video card. Under it is my boot drive, a 256 GB mSATA SSD. I'm going to update the SSD but that means I'll need to remove then reinstall the video card. I can't really see much- under the video card because it's held in place by a large piece of plastic. The plastic is held in place by a few screws so I can get that off. And, I can see the plate and screw on the outside of the case holding the other side of the video card. I presume once I remove that plastic holder and the plate on the outside of the case- that there is some kind of clip holding the video card to the MB.

I'm always worried about doing anything inside a computer- though I've had luck in the past with replacing RAM and some other easily accessible parts (on older PCs)- but this video card is huge. I'm afraid of breaking something or touching some electronics and damaging it. Any clue about how to remove the card would be nice. Perhaps a video? I did find a YouTube video showing how to replace the mSATA drive and the guy had to remove a smaller video card. It's just that this video card is the size of a book- so I'm intimidated! That video mentioned a clip- but I just can't see it. I'm not even sure I'll be able to see it after I removed the plastic holder- so I'll have to just feel around for it? Yikes...

And, do I need to wear one of those wristbands to reduce the risk of static electricity? Or is that something from the past?

thanks in advance,

Joe

Outcomes