1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 27, 2016 11:37 AM by arcticwind

worried about how to remove video card

joez

I have on my Dell XPS desktop- a AMD Radeon HD R9 270 2 GB GDDR5 video card. Under it is my boot drive, a 256 GB mSATA SSD. I'm going to update the SSD but that means I'll need to remove then reinstall the video card. I can't really see much- under the video card because it's held in place by a large piece of plastic. The plastic is held in place by a few screws so I can get that off. And, I can see the plate and screw on the outside of the case holding the other side of the video card. I presume once I remove that plastic holder and the plate on the outside of the case- that there is some kind of clip holding the video card to the MB.

I'm always worried about doing anything inside a computer- though I've had luck in the past with replacing RAM and some other easily accessible parts (on older PCs)- but this video card is huge. I'm afraid of breaking something or touching some electronics and damaging it. Any clue about how to remove the card would be nice. Perhaps a video? I did find a YouTube video showing how to replace the mSATA drive and the guy had to remove a smaller video card. It's just that this video card is the size of a book- so I'm intimidated! That video mentioned a clip- but I just can't see it. I'm not even sure I'll be able to see it after I removed the plastic holder- so I'll have to just feel around for it? Yikes...

And, do I need to wear one of those wristbands to reduce the risk of static electricity? Or is that something from the past?

thanks in advance,

Joe

• Re: worried about how to remove video card
          arcticwind

Don't worry it is easy and almost foolproof.  The PCI slot does not have clip, so the card just pulls out.

Turn computer off, open case, place computer on side, disconnect power cables, unscrew from back of computer, and pull straight up.

Reinstall and you are done!

The Video card manufacturer's website should have a installation video on it. Check it out.

Linustechtips.com is also a good site for tech info!!