24 Replies Latest reply on Feb 12, 2016 2:43 AM by nehalmistry

Crazy FPS issue (Bug ?)

ferni55

I was playing Project Cars, I suddenly see that FPS indicator (Steam's in-game FPS counter) shows 30-32 FPS, previous time when I played the game it was solid 60 FPS (VSYNC) 72 FPS (no-VSYNC). So when I seen the FPS drop, I alt-tab to desktop to check my Radeon Settings (did not changed anything here), then return to game, and FPS is up to 60 FPS.

Its the same for all games I tested. Game loads at nearly %50 FPS drop until I alt tab It comes to normal 60 FPS.

Anything wrong with Multisampling ?

Using latest AMD (non-beta) driver.

Driver Packaging Version

15.30.1025.1001-151204a-298676C

Radeon Settings Version

Graphics Chipset

AMD Radeon (TM) R7 370 Series Graphics

• Re: Crazy FPS issue (Bug ?)
          tomtalk24

Whats your vRAM doing? You using VSR etc? Is it just when playing in fullscreen mode or borderless as well?

nehalmistry

I have the exact same issue. Whenever I start a game, I get low FPS (20-30). Then when I alt-tab and return back to the game, everything is fine. I originally thought it was a bug in GTA V, but then I saw it happen in Far Cry 4 as well so I have a feeling it's something with the driver.

I searched online and most people have the opposite problem (alt-tab drops the FPS, not increases).

I am on Windows 7. I only got this card a month ago so I can't comment on old drivers.

Driver Packaging Version

15.301.1201-151223a-297971C

Radeon Settings Version

Graphics Chipset

AMD Radeon (TM) R9 380 Series

tomtalk24

Can your try (once you alt-tab out and in again and the games still acting like its background) alt-enter twice. So OS windowed then OS fullscreen again.

You both have the same class of GPU so would be a good idea to report the issue here.

nehalmistry

If I alt-enter twice after starting a game, the FPS goes to normal 60fps. Basically it has the same effect as alt-tab and then switch back again. Then once I do that, if I alt-enter twice, the FPS stays normal.

Thanks for the link. I will report the issue.

nehalmistry

I have tried the latest version (6.1.1, Driver Packaging Version: 15.301.1801.1001-160130a-298922E) and it's still happening. I have reported it to AMD.

I used MSI Afterburner to monitor what was happening. It looks like the core clock is not maxing out until after I alt-tab. See image below and notice the 'Max' value in both cases. 980 MHz is the correct max for my video card.

alttabissue.png

tomtalk24

Yeah it seems its not going into stage 3 again. So 2D or idle is about 300mhz, then 3D but low level like a video or something is stage 2 @ 500mhz, then full on is 3.

They do have a newer driver now that hasn't mentioned this problem, but could be worth a try. 16.1.1

At least now its reported.

ferni55

Yes its same with the old CCC drivers, and the latest 16.1.1. We have repored it, I dont know why this things happens to me. Before I was ok when I used the latest old CCC drivers, or when crimson come it was ok, but now It does not make any difference about version, all has these problems.

tomtalk24

And your thermals are okay? Whats the CPU doing? I'm wondering if this is a driver problem or not? Can you try High Performance mode. 

ferni55

Captured in game Project Cars single session.

40 FPS, alt+tabbed and fixed to 60 FPS. This happens always when first time running the games after the boot. After exiting games, and re-running game happens 3 of the 4 times.

Fine.png

By the way I have detected another problem here. My 1st GPU doe not use 985 Mhz which is default, It only uses 925 Mhz. Even 2nd GPU uses 985 Mhz. Radeon Settins at all defaults. As you can clearly see GPU1 uses lover Voltage than GPU2.. But these values are same for when both FPS has problem and FPS at normal.

at Project Cars:

GPU1 Activity does not pass 82%, even GPU2 sees 95%, same values for when FPS problem occurs and when normal.

at Rainbow Six Siege:

GPU1 Activity does not pass 60%, when I alt + tab it becomes max usage and FPS Fixes.But Mhz is still 925. (PS: NO CF support for this game to tell GPU2 valus)

Lets fix this.

Thanks

tomtalk24

I'm just about to test some pCars now. But just want to point out you should have Power Control set to +50. Its not voltage so isn't dangerous, but the amount of current your GPU can use. Its possible this might be your lower clock on GPU 1 problem.

Will post back what I can find out for comparisons sake.

ferni55

I had disabled 2nd Monitor and Mhz for GPU1 is back to normal but the FPS problem stil exists. (PS: When on idle and 2nd monitor enabled, GPU Mem Clock always at max and Core Clock Mhz at 450 until I disable 2nd monitor)

Yes thanks for the Power Control suggestion, I actually use at 20% which is max, but did not changed because just reinstalled the drivers.

Its same for AC Syndicate too. Alt tab fixes. But on old games such Age of Empires 3 its always fine.

By the way: the image I have sent is When FPS ok, the graphs are same when problem happens.

tomtalk24

Had a look, I'm getting constant usage on both GPUs, both clocks and memory clocks don't move. My CPU looks about the same as yours with usage. I'm sure I have seen this problem before, but ages ago.

2nd GPU on idle but running at half clock full memory, that seems to be a Crimson issue. I have the same and its rather annoying.

I can see your issue but I want to know why, this will be a pain to do but will give a good idea of whats going on. so lets try some more things....

• First I need your full system details, PSU, mobo the lot.
                                                • Next I think it would be good to monitor everything from start to end. So we need to download HWINFO.

With HWiNFO running, open sensors, right click on each sensor listed and select "show graph".

• GPU1 Thermal Diode - GPU VDDC - GPU Clock - GPU Memory Clock - GPU Utilization
                                                • (The same for GPU2)
                                                • +12v - +5v - Vcore - Total CPU Usage - Bus Clock

As your adding them to your desktop arrange like so...

SensorALL.PNG

Then run pCars, play as normal until the clock/fps drop, alt-tab out and in again (as seen with the gap in GPU usage in that pic) then play for around 15 seconds more, alt-tab again and Snipping Tool the results.

This will be helpful to work out what component is causing everything to drop out. You can close the graphs after and even uninstall HWiNFO if need be.

Again this is a fair bit of homework and may show nothing, I don't think I will be able to look at it until tomorrow afternoon either. But is worth a try, at least you can semi play for now

EDIT:

I also need added to the graph list your CPU Core, CPU AUX and when you do the screen shot show the motherboards sensor list like I have there in HWiNFO. And while we are at it download DPC Latency Checker and let that run when doing this test. DPC Latency Checker

DCP.PNG

Should look like this, The red spike is me alt tabbing so no problems.

ferni55

Well a big update,

I have disabled Crossfire at Settings, and also for the games profile. Game runs normal at 45 FPS which is what I get from 1 GPU.

But when Crosfire enabled, 2nd GPU does not activates and couses FPS drops to 30-45 iwth high lags, stuttering such it look likes it works at 10 FPS but showing 30-45; until  alt + tab to desktop and back to game. And at this point 2nd GPU activates and fixes the issue.

So there is an initial CF triggerring issue.

Oh for the Rainbow Six Siege, witf CF disabled at all, I still have the issue.

I think there are multiple problems both drivers and the games.

Ok I will do tomorrow the practices you asked.

ferni55

Well GPUs utilitizations are always 1% :S

nehalmistry

"play as normal until the clock/fps drop"

Speaking for my particular case, it doesn't drop part way through a game. It only happens when you first start the game. Once the clock goes to full speed after alt-tabbing, it stays like that until the game exits. So when you start the game, the driver is suppose to tell the GPU "hey, we're starting a game now, go into full speed", but that's not happening for some reason.

ferni55

Here are my specs that you asked for;

tomtalk24

All looks good, and it should be safe to say your PSU is very much up to the job. I've calculated 440 watt usage for your system

So it looks like it is a API or driver issue now. I think we should do a full clean install of the drivers. Please follow... Clean Install AMD Graphics Drivers / Clean install of AMD Crimson - YouTube and post back your findings.

If anything has been corrupted, not an impossibility, plus Windows 10 has a habit of trying to help but messing things up.. Then this will confirm if the issue is with the driver or not.

nehalmistry

I know this was meant for ferni55 but I have gone ahead and tried these instructions. Unfortunately it did not help.

I first uninstalled AMD drivers, then rebooted in safe mode. I used DDU to remove some Nvidia drivers (for some cards I previously had installed), then rebooted again into safe mode and ran DDU again for AMD. Then I rebooted normally. I tried the 16.1.1 drivers from Feb 3 but for some reason the list of components was very limited and there were no display drivers. I cancelled out and tried 16.1.1 from Jan 30 as I still had that on my hard drive. That installed fine. Then I rebooted and tried Far Cry 4 again but the issue still exists.

If it makes any difference, the previous card I had in this system was AMD 7790. Before that was GeForce GTS 250, GeForce GTX 275, and GeForce 8800 GT. I did not reinstall Windows during any GPU change.

ferni55

Lets forget about the Mhz issue.

I re run the game, with 2nd monitor enabled (shows desktop)

I have max% GPU1 , but 0 GPU2 when the FPS problem happens. When I alt tab, crossfire starts to work..

Sorry for the confussion of previous post.

Hehe is the graphs when the FPS problem happens:

Problem.png

I will disable CF and test..