AnsweredAssumed Answered

PC Keeps Shutting Down. GPU, or CPU problem?

Question asked by auroan on Jan 26, 2016
Latest reply on Mar 22, 2016 by crimsonsun

I've had my PC since about 2011. It didn't happen to much at first, but my PC eventually began to shut off on me out of no where. It was very infrequent in the beginning and eventually went away all together for a while, randomly popping it's head in very briefly every now and than. It really depended on the game I was playing. However, for the past few weeks, it's been doing it at least twice every day.

I checked up online about the possibilities and I'm thinking it's my CPU temperatures, but I'm not 100% sure. My graphics card drivers are up to date and I haven't seen any indication that it could be my Motherboard, or anything else. I've downloaded Core Temp, and recently downloaded CAM by NXZT to view the statistics of my CPU and GPU. Right now, with just CAM and this page open, my CPU temp is roughly 45c, with 4% Load, while my GPU is 45c and 0% Load. Cutting to the chase, when I do my basic daily activities, whether it be browsing the web and having a couple tabs open and music playing, or just playing a video game of any kind (mainly The Elder Scolls Online, Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain, and League of Legends), my CPU Temp is always 80c while my GPU is around 60c.

I've read up on my CPU and apparently CPU's in general should be around 45c. Going above 60c is pretty much a no-go. CPU's have a TJ Max that when they hit a certain temperature, they begin to throttle and just shut down to prevent damage. I'd like to say that since my CPU is literally always at 80c every day, it just constantly hits its TJ Max and shuts off, but I wanna be certain.

I only have 2 fans in my PC. One fan at the top vent of the PC (literally just one, not the usual two 120m at the top vent, or whatever the size it), and another fan over my CPU. I think the heat is the issue and I plan on buying a Liquid Cooling system to place over my CPU in hopes that it'll bring it down. I might buy another fan to put at the top vent to compliment the other as well. I just want to make sure that the CPU temperature is the likely problem before investing good money for a possible solution, because a part of me also slightly believes that it could be a GPU problem as well. I say this because when I've tried playing older games like Timeshift and Dark Sector, my PC seems to shut off much quicker on me, yet playing higher demanding games, it can last hours at time before shutting off. Maybe it's a BIOS thing? I don't know anything about BIOS's though, so I can't say.

It's just odd that my CPU will be stuck at 80c, and randomly shut off on me out of no where. If 80c is the TJ Max, shouldn't it shut off from doing basic activities since it always shoots up to 80c when doing such? If that's not the TJ Max, than why is it shutting down in the first place if it never goes over 80c? And why does it seem to shut off faster when I play older games that are less demanding? Sheer coincidence/bad luck? Is there a way to change my CPU's TJ Max so it stops shutting off on me? It doesn't go over 80c, that's where it stops, oddly enough, so it's not going to fry itself anymore than it already is.

My Rig:

16GB DDR3 2133Mhz RAM

AMD FX-8350 CPU

AMD Radeon HD 7970 GPU

800w (or 850w) Power Supply

Mid-Tower Phantom Chasis

Can't remember the Motherboard. Sorry :/

Outcomes