william

AncientArtefact

Discussion created by william on Jan 26, 2016

Description

This is my ancient "gaming" PC. It was pretty good during it's times but now its just too outdated. Currently I am using it mostly for work and browsing the internet. It's missing many great features like DX11/12 or USB 3 not to mention SSD drive. You can check the specs below.

Processor is slow, GPU is super slow but from time to time when I manage to make some free time I can play some games. I enjoy playing Team Fortress 2 and would probably enjoy some newer games as well but that's just not possible on my current system.

I have overclocked CPU to 2.5GHz and it would probably go higher but I haven't tried because it is using stock cooler. The temps are pretty good. I am getting ~ 30°C on CPU when idle and no more than 60°C when pushed to 100% with ~1500 RPM on the cooler. GPU is sitting comfortable at about 35°C most of the time.

I wanted to replace it last year with something like R9 380 + i5 6600k with 16GB DDR3 ram but than decided to wait for newer architecture. It just was not a good time to upgrade since I had big expenses in the other ares of my life and this new stuff looks very promising.

I am planning to build a new one this year based on Zen CPU probably with Polaris GPU and DDR4. I am pretty excited to see how it all end up.

Specifications

CPUIntel Core 2 Quad Q8200 BOX
CoolerStock
MotherboardGIGABYTE P43-ES3G
MemoryKingston 4GB DDR2-800Mhz 2x2GB
GraphicsGIGABYTE Radeon HD4670 1GB (128) aktiv 1xDVI DDR3
Disc Drive 1WD Green 750GB
Disc Drive 2
Disc Drive 3
PSUZM-500LX Dual Forward PSU (originally was Fortron SAGA 2 400W)
CaseThermaltake
Monitor27" LED LCD - single monitor for now

Outcomes