7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 27, 2016 5:44 AM by tomtalk24

AMD Turbo Core enable vs auto?

vegasecurea

What is the difference between the two? And please stick to the question and not veer off. I'm not an overclocker so telling me to just have it disabled is not needed. Thanks in advance.

• Re: AMD Turbo Core enable vs auto?
          amdiesel

Turbo is awesome, its like an OEM overclock setting.  I have found turbo to run totally stable for 24/7 use and under extreme workloads, at least on the phenom x6. Maybe it runs hot and less power efficient so it wouldn't look as good in the adverts so they come stock underclocked to meet international eco standards. But since it runs good there's no reason to ever turn it off... except if you are manually overclocking, then turn it off cause it screws with the oc

vegasecurea

How do you set it to run 24/7 on an FX series?

amdiesel

It will be an option in bios. If its anything like the phenom series you can not literally turn it on 24/7. I kind of used that as a generalization, because If the setting is "enabled" in bios It will always turn itself on whenever it would benefit your system. like with my hex core, turbo boosts half of the cores (in my case, 3) but the rest remain the same. In programs like adobeCC where all cores are equally used, It wouldn't be good to have some of them at WAY different speeds so turbo goes off in those cases. But like with gaming and programs that use only some of your cores it is appropriate to have THOSE cores ramped up a bit.

but Im clocked up to 5.56ghz/s right now so I would DEF need turbo OFF, or my computer would try to add the multiplier to half the cores on top of my general oc....

If you need to know, BIOS can be reached by rebooting your computer and repeatedly tapping the Delete key as it turns back on, BEFORE windows starts up. then use the arrow keys and locate the TURBO setting; change that from disabled to enabled and thats it. If it was already enabled then it was already on. f10 is save and exit

kingfish

You can also unpark your cores manually > I Need Better Core Distribution on My FX 6200

100% = all cores Unparked.