3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 26, 2016 2:14 AM by kingfish

Clean Install not removing profiles, possibly more

carr

I have been playing around with the new Crimson drivers trying to get a nice stable setup for multiple game profiles, some using Eyefinity others not as well as retaining the choice to overclock for some games either using Overdrive, Afterburner or GPU Tweak. I have been searching high and low for weeks but have not been able to find anything to help.

System:

Intel 4770k

Asus Sabertooth Mark 2 Z97 with 1 monitor running off onboard

Asus R9 270X DC2T running 3 monitors

Windows 7 with SP 1 (tried with and without all the other windows updates without difference)

Drivers I have tried - CCC 15.7.1 and Crimson 15.11, 15.11.1b, 15.12 and 16.1

The problem - Firstly the new interface on all Crimson versions doesn't allow easy switching between Eyefinity and extended desktops, having to go into the Additional Settings on the Display tab every time is a complete PITA, the Eyefinity tab only allows you to disregard it and having to make a configuration each time. Yes I know you can do a game profile and tell it you want to use Eyefinity, but it won't work if there isn't a configuration already in place. I don't understand why this is the case, unless I am missing something.

Secondly, now this has been discussed many times about the Overdrive settings resetting and people just say to change it and it will be ok until restart.  This is not my problem, I have only once been able to get a setting to stick yet after closing and reopening the tool, the setting was back to the old one (assuming it didn't reset when hitting apply). I have had multiple problems regarding the overclocking including:

All versions above - all sliders on Overdrive automatically resetting to previous setting within 1 second, sometimes without hitting apply.

15.11/11.1/12 - Overdrive's memory clock range changing so the minimum is the last setting applied.

16.1 - Got an overclock to work in Overdrive but after restarting I was unable to change it at all.

15.12 - Not able to change any overclock settings with either Afterburner or GPU Tweak (individually installed and not at the same time) despite not even accepting the Overdrive warning message.

All Crimson - Game profiles and Overdrive setting being retained after doing multiple "Clean Installs" as per the link provided in many previous posts on here, also using DDU and manually stripping registry for relevant AMD/ATI entries I could find.

15.12 - Having clock speed set at 1200mhz in Overdrive and it working, yet when in a game Overdrive and Afterburner or GPU-Z all reporting clock speed of 1000mhz (default 1120mhz), this was random and not able to replicate.

Some specifics of what I tried:

- I did a complete Windows re-install and installed CCC 15.7.1 and the Overdrive sliders would all reset within a second of applying.

- I did another complete Windows re-install and installed Crimson 16.1 and got the Overdrive overclock to work but couldn't change it after 1 restart.

- I did a full uninstall of 16.1 and clean install of 15.12 and now haven't accepted agreement on overdrive and can't change any clocks with Afterburner or GPU Tweak, I have kept with this setup as I currently have the ability to tune the cards fan speed with Asus Ai Suite.

If anyone is able to explain to me how a clean install of the drivers doesn't remove customized game profiles including their custom Overdrive settings?  Could this not be part of the core problem of not being able to adjust Overdrive settings?  If these settings are being stored somewhere then it could be assumed that other key data from the previous version of the driver is too.

Has anyone found a tried and tested way to get a working overclock with these drivers without firmware flashing?

Can anyone fault my methods and see something that I am doing to contribute to this problem?  I am not a computer rookie by any means but I wouldn't call myself a Pro either, drivers are not my strongest area.

• Re: Clean Install not removing profiles, possibly more
          kingfish

Why are you not enabling Overdrive?  You really like using the GPU default power saving settings? Do you have your computer power plan set to 'power saver' or 'Performance'...same thing. You leave your Power Limit at default "0" and your card doesn't perform as expected when playing a high demand application ..like gaming?

How do you know the profiles aren't removed? All AMD profile optimizations (on the driver level) are installed with a new driver installation ("this application has a AMD profile, would you like to replace it").

I am going to assume you installed raptr (gaming evolved) as well...which has it's own profiles for many games and will override the settings you make in the Crimson panel.

Raptr is a third party tool that is not removed with the AMD software when using DDU...it stays. Or you remove it manually. > Raptr/Gaming evolved how to remove

I suggest you remove all the tools you have tried to "overclock' your graphics card, and use the factory clocks...at least until you get a stable system (and here we have to take your word that you have gone to Windows Update and installed all the relevant 'optional' updates where important upgrades like netframeworks and C++ are located).

AMD graphics performance

Clean Install AMD Graphics Drivers

• Re: Clean Install not removing profiles, possibly more
              carr

Thanks for the reply.  I have tried various combinations of enabling Overdrive, all of which put me in the position where I am unable to change any of the settings within it, as stated, all sliders reset to default within 1 second of hitting apply.  The only time it did work was with 16.1 on a fresh Windows install and after I restarted my PC it was then locked again and any adjustments I attempted to make where again reset to the last saved setting. With that config I was getting regular driver crashes in The Witcher 3 and wanted to rule out the overclock but couldn't as well as the fan speed being locked at 70% (which I find rather loud on this card). I spent about 8 hours installing/uninstalling drivers only to get the same problem, as well as 2 back to back Windows re-installs that resulted in the same problem each time.

My computer is used for many things, not just gaming. It is a media centre, 3D modelling station, playing games old and new.  There is no need for me to run a full overclock on the card when I am watching a movie, browsing the net, modelling, and playing old games (of which I have a lot).  I can play rFactor @ 5760x1080 @ 240-250fps on default clock and full graphics settings, The Witcher 3 @ 5760x1080 @ 10fps default clock and minimum settings. It is all relevant as to what I am doing at the time, and yes I had setup multiple profiles for games in AMD Settings with individual Overdrive settings (all of which were disregarded by the drivers and the global settings were used, they are the ones that I can't change and a lot of the reason for this post) and some with/without eyefinity. I know it wouldn't really hurt to run overclocked full-time, but I can't even do that atm.

To be clear on what I am attempting to set as maximum Overdrive/Afterburner/etc settings is 1200 core (1120 default), 1500 memory (1400 default), +20 power limit and not changing core voltage.  I have previously run these settings on old versions of CCC using AB and had no artifacts, tearing or oddities under load for extended time with temps below 80deg.  I have had difficulties unlocking voltage adjustment on this card so I am not pushing it too far and causing a crash or failure.

I don't have Raptr installed and I only made that mistake once, I found it a useless program running in the background which I never used.  Any of the profiles that Raptr made could also be done in the CCC control panel or in the new Crimson profiles. In general I don't bother messing around with that stuff unless I am having problems with a game anyway.

The reason I know that the profiles were still present on the system is that I did a full clean install (safe mode, DDU, double check registry and directories, reboot, triple check registry and directories, install new drivers) I would open up the profiles and all the same games would be there and include any changed settings I had previously made.  Yes to be able to see the Overdrive settings I had to again accept the disclosure notice, but the previous overclock settings were still there. The simple fact that they were still there at all shows that something isn't right. As to the Windows update packages, I believe I have them all including optional ones, I downloaded over 200 after doing the re-install but will double check that.

It is my understanding that you don't need to enable Overdrive to be able to overclock you GPU using AB, I have done it multiple times in the past.  Why wouldn't the system recognize the settings that I am putting into AB?  The monitor in AB as well as GPU-Z both read the default clocks even if I put it at 1300 core clock. This is probably the biggest thing that is confusing me, something must be overriding the settings back to stock.  The only things I installed related to the graphics were Crimson, AB and GPU-Z.