2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 25, 2016 2:06 AM by m1chb3ltr3

Amd A8-5550 CPU Locked?

m1chb3ltr3

i have a toshiba SATELLITE L75D-A7288 with an A8-5550m the cpu frequency are 2.1ghz and 3.1ghz at max while turbo boosting, but the cpu never goes over 2.1ghz even while gaming (heavy games) i use hardware info 64 bit and rivaturner to check the cpu frequency, also in amd overdrive the turbo core option is disabled.

thanks in advance

• Re: Amd A8-5550 CPU Locked?
          techguy

The way AMD turbo mode works in all current processors is when the workloads are light and the temp of the processor is well below the thermal limit. Turbo mode does not work when all cores are under significant load. Turbo mode is a balancing of processor speed with the thermal load. Under light loads the frequency can change almost instantaneously and it will change constantly until the processor reaches a specific programmed temp or load and then it reverts to the base frequency. An applet that records processor speed, load and temp will demonstrate this process.

BTW, locked or unlocked processors normally refers to the ability to change the CPU multiplier in the BIOS. It does not normally apply to Turbo mode. With an unlocked processor, you can change the multiplier in the BIOS. With locked processors this option isn't available. It is possible that Toshiba has written the BIOS to prevent the APU from being run in turbo mode? You should contact Toshiba tech support to confirm.

• Re: Amd A8-5550 CPU Locked?
              m1chb3ltr3

Thanks for your time , I use hardwareinfo64 and rivaturner to check the frequency, about toshiba... i made a post in their forum but no response yet but i also think that turbo core is blocked in the bios, as you can tell by my english writing skills english is not my first language and i dont know how to get in contact with toshiba tech support.

agan thanks for your time.