16 Replies Latest reply on Feb 11, 2016 3:45 AM by tomtalk24

Graphics breaking up with windwos 10 and dell xps 8300

cadman148

I have an xps 8300 from Dell.  About 3 months ago, I upgraded to the free windows 10.  It worked good for about 3 months, now the display is breaking up, freezing, and I get a funny cursor.  I have to re-boot or pull out the power supply to make it work again.  This comes and goes.  I have a 5770 Graphics card with 1 gig on it, I think it's one gig.  It reports as "ATI 6700 Series". I don't know why it show 6700 series, when a 5770 graphics card is installed.  I have a Dell xps 8300 12 gig with ATI 5770 Graphics card, I had windows 7, not windows 10.  I can't roll back, two old.  Files for windows 7 have been deleted. (WINDOWS.OLD).

Can anyone help me, I have the latest crimson softward downloaded, and I was hoping that would install the correct drivers, but it didn't.  What do I do Now?  How can I check the integrity of the card to make sure it is working correctly.  I downloaded the detect software, and it said I have the latest drivers for this card.  Something is confusing it. Please help.  Thanks

• Re: Graphics breaking up with windwos 10 and dell xps 8300
          cadman148

I re-installed windows 7 drivers with the catalyst software, no change.  Please help if you can. Thanks

amdmatt

Uninstall all AMD drivers. Ensure Windows is fully up to date. Install Catalyst 15.11.1 Beta to see if that resolves the issue.

cadman148

I went to this site Here are some of the issues and bugs users are experiencing with the Windows 10 November update | Windows Central and others are having the same issue I'm having.  "display drivers stopped working, now has recovered".  Looks like a microsoft issue on build 1511, build 10586.71.  Do you see any changes from Microsoft to correct this?  It's not just me.  Thanks

cadman148

I have the 15.11.1 version installed

cadman148

I went to device manager in windows 10 and I went through everything I had.  When I got to “display” I saw the AMD driver was loaded for the “6700 series” graphics card.  I then continued looking at the device manager and when I got to “monitor”, I saw my “Dell 2420L(HDMI) was “disabled”.  It has always been “enabled”, I think when windows 10 was installed, it disabled the Device Manager’s monitor, and put in a “generic” monitor.  I have since enabled my Dell 2420L(HDMI) monitor.  So far, (knock on wood), I have not received any graphic problem like I experienced before.  Question, could the AMD HDMI graphics card cause a problem sending a HDMI single to a selected “non graphics” driver for a generic monitor that was in the device manager?  I hoping that the Dell monitor I have was receiving a wrong driver, or something that caused the problem of breaking up resolution.  Is this possible?

tomtalk24

Sounds good, glad its okay. Create a Windows System Restore Point just in case something happens.

Windows reporting the wrong GPU, this is normal for older hardware and newer operating systems yet undesirable. This is the mobile version of your GPU and it confirms your situation. Nothing to worry about... AMD Radeon HD 6770M - NotebookCheck.net Tech

My understanding with HDMI and what not is....

The GPU shouldn't be able to send a wrong signal, HDMI is digital. And with digital there is no such thing as a computer error, just a human error. Display drivers only ever provide information to the OS of what refresh rate, resolution, colour depth etc is supported.

So looking at your findings, it might be that your display is fussy (not a generic compatible display). Its odd that it required a driver as 1080p is a standard resolution, and that monitors narrative resolution. But at least you know you need a driver to support that display.

That's the best explanation I can offer with my knowledge

If you run into problems again don't hesitate to ask, otherwise I'm glad your sorted. If you can mark your thread as answered to help others looking for similar, and any replies as helpful if they helped.

cadman148

Well I shouldn't have posted my reply yesterday, I brought bad luck.  The screen froze up, went "grey",  I had to unplug and re-boot.  Sometime it won't boot up, but the light on the computer is lit, so it's trying but dead in the water.  I'm going to Dell support to see if a new driver is there for my monitor.  I just can't pin point it because it's interminant doesn't always act up.  I don't know if its the card, 5770 AMD or Power Supply 385 watts, or monitor, Dell 2420L HD.  I'm going to do a "clean" of all amd products, and use the basic ms graphic for a while if it acts up again.  This way, maybe I can pin point it if it doesn't act up with the basic drivers.  Thanks for all your help, I was a little confused on the last replay about (not a generic), etc.  That's getting a little over my head.  Thanks again.

tomtalk24

Sorry buddy.

Clean install is a good idea, you may already know but here is a link that may help by a forum member. Clean Install AMD Graphics Drivers

cadman148

Thanks for your infor, yes Dell has made it tough for me, can't afford a new computer, retired.  I paid a lot for the xps 8300, you'd think Dell would update it's drivers.  I will try to do a clean uninstall again, but I've done that 3 times already.  Thanks for being patient with me, is hard to pin point doesn't happen all the time.  Thanks again

tomtalk24

Its fine, tbh I do question the ethics of companies like this. But the world is a very greedy place these days.

If all else fails, we can go back to Windows 7. I'm happy to give you instructions. We can even suggest some other free operating systems for you to try, up-to-date and compatible. So all is not lost, as pointed out you have until June to switch back to 7. And as the saying goes, if it aint broke, don't fix it.

But see what you can do. We aren't going anywhere.

cadman148

I thought you could not put windows 7 back on after 30 days.  I thought they were in a “BTN” hidden files, or something like that and these files were deleted.  I don’t have them anymore.  If I can still put windows 7 back on, will the saved files go back to what they were before, I can’t remember the extension.  I have office suite 2010.  Also If I go back to windows 7, will all my programs, be saved, I have some I downloaded from sites, but didn’t get the original disks, just downloaded programs I paid for.  I upgraded in Nov. 2015 to windows 10.  Please advise, and tell me why I can still download to windows 7 until june.  What is the site I go to?  I tried to uninstall windows 10, but it told me I can’t do it, files were not available.

Thanks. I did see you message before on windows 7, but I didn't think I could do it.  Thanks again.

tomtalk24

I think its 30 days to restore that Windows.Old. But the Free Upgrade is valid for a year. MS have started moving onto connecting the OS to the motherboard. I have fresh installed the OS onto 3 different motherboards, each time it sends my system info to MS. But after June whatever info they have is what that copy of Windows is for, so if I upgrade again, I will have to spend another £100 on a new OS. And the old one will go in the bin.

How to Uninstall Windows 10 and Downgrade to Windows 7 or 8.1 This covers everything from how to go back using that Windows.Old or how to go back using your product key. You will need to read it all, but the bit you want is near the bottom explaining how to install your old OS.

You will need to wipe your hard disk, the best and only option here is to backup all of your documents, music etc onto a USB hard disk. Reinstall WIndows and copy them back. You will need to install, download, and setup any software you have again as this and everything will be deleted.

Again by all mean keep asking questions if you need. I understand this whole process can be worrying or more so frustrating for people who are not sure.

Its not correct to criticize other companies on the forum, but Microsoft are desperate to get everyone using the latest OS. The OS full of money making software you don't need and the store etc. In my opinion people are told they should upgrade when its clearly not going to work for them, because they get prompted every day to do so, and how great things will be. Its very bad standards for MS indeed.