AnsweredAssumed Answered

295x2 Freeze/Unfreeze issue

Question asked by bigant on Jan 21, 2016
Latest reply on Jan 26, 2016 by bigant

I recently purchased a Diamond R9 295x2 video card and I am having trouble with freezing/unfreezing. I am coming from a GTX 660ti so I removed all drivers for nvidia, shutdown, installed the 295x2 and then booted and installed the new driver (Crimson edition 15.2 full software) and then did the hotfix witch is 16.1. I can navigate my PC

fine but when I open any program it will start to load then freezes for a few seconds then continues to load then freezes again. It will sometimes freeze with the desktop/program still visible on the screen and sometimes goes to a black screen and then comes back. It is on and off like this for seconds to minutes sometimes the program will load and sometimes it stays in the frozen state. (I can get it to come back with ctrl,alt,del) Even if it does load it will continue to freeze on and off. When the freezing occurs it appears the program is loading fine in the background as when the freezing is quick and it comes back to the screen the program is already loaded.

So I went into safe mode and used 2 different driver cleaners/sweeper to make sure all the Nvidia drivers were gone and it still didn't fix anything. I went back into safe mode and removed all AMD as well and started over with only installing the (Crimson edition 15.2 full software) but still did not fix anything.

I will be updating my bios tonight to see if that has anything to do with it. With this install I also had to upgrade my PSU and I went with a Corsair RM1000 which I think should be good. I will be testing that PSU power output as well tonight. I also have a hard drive laying around and if the above doesn't work I will try a new install just to see.

What suggestions do you have that I can try. Anything would be appreciated.

Specs:

CPU: AMD FX-8350

Mem: 8GB DDR3 Corsair 1600

MB: GA-990FXA-UD3

PSU: Corsair RM1000

Thank You

Outcomes