5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 21, 2016 9:40 AM by kahless_uk

I got some problems with antialisising

andi382@gmail.com

Unbenannt.PNG

I got a huge jaggie problem on many games  and i just cant fix it ... Maybe someone here can help me ....

• Re: I got some problems with antialisising
          amdmatt

What is the problem? I looked at the screenshot but am not sure what you are referring to.

andi382@gmail.com

look at the shadows especially them at the dune they are edgy and not smooth at all also i got huge aliasing artifacts... I got this problem on nearly all of my games ....

kahless_uk

Shadow resolution is the "problem" there it's not something that conventional anti-aliasing can do anything about, it has to do with the way the shadows are generated by the game in question.

In your screenshot the "jaggies" all appear to be being blended away correctly by conventional anti-aliasing methods however the shadows in that game are texture based (as opposed to geometry based stencil shadows that don't get used much anymore) and as such are limited by the resolution of the texture used to make the shadow. All you can do to improve the look of them is increase shadow resolution in the game's settings if it allows it or simply accept that the method of shadowing used by the game isn't going to be photo realistic presumably because the developers opted for performance over pretties

andi382@gmail.com

i think its a shadow mapping bug but how can i fix that ?

kahless_uk

Well you can't, unless it's an issue considered bad enough by the developers to patch it or it's something your video drivers are doing wrong which it doesn't appear to be.

The apparently "broken" shadow on the sand dune is an extremely common artifact you'll see over and over again in lots of games simply because of the way texture based shadows are applied to a scene especially when the surface the shadow is projected onto isn't flat or when it's a "self shadow" (an object projecting a shadow of itself onto itself).

As i said all you can do to fix this is increase the shadow quality in the game itself, turn shadows off completely or just accept it as a fact of gaming.