First, my specs:
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon (TM) R9 390 Series (Sapphire Nitro)
Driver Version: 15.8
OS: Windows 10, 64-bit
CPU details: Intel i7-4790K Quad-core processor, 4.00 GHz, no overclocking
Display device: ACER H236HL, connected via HDMI, 60 Hz display
System Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury 8 GB
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI
BIOS Version: American Megatrends, SMBIOS Version 2.7
Power Supply: EVGA Supernova 850 B2, 850 W
SSD: Seagate Barracuda 3 TB SSD
Playing a video in Windows media player, VLC media player, and on Youtube (on both Chrome and Firefox) will soon cause my monitor to go fully dark blue. No words, just a thoroughly dark blue screen. The audio will quit within a half second of the monitor going fully blue. The system does not show signs of overheating or of any abnormal events prior to this blue screen. This occurs whether the video in question is in fullscreen or not. This only started happening about two weeks ago, and my desktop has been assembled since early December of 2015.
There is not issue whatsoever when I play games on Steam, even graphics-intensive ones such as Skyrim, Borderlands 2, etc. I also play TF2, which is graphically poorly-optimized, in fullscreen, and have no issues.
Steps I have already taken to resolve this issue:
1) I updated my GPU and motherboard drivers (were already updated to 15.8 for GPU and the current version of drivers for motherboard)
2) I switched from Chrome to Firefox. Did not resolve issue.
3) I undid all cables leading from GPU to motherboard and monitor and reinserted them. Did not resolve issue.
4) I uninstalled f.lux. Did not resolve issue.
5) I used memtest86 to checked my memory. No errors were found.
6) I changed monitors. Did not resolve issue.
7) I ran Malwarebytes scan, cleaned system of any potential threats. Did not resolve issue.
At this point, I believe the problem has to be with the GPU itself. Like I said above, I only recently started to have this issue. Just before submitting this, I tested my system by playing Despicable Me, fullscreen, VLC player, and after about 5-5.5 minutes I got the blue screen. Again, the screen goes fully dark blue, but the system continues running as if nothing happened, except that I can't actually see anything or do anything besides reset the computer via external hardware switch.
Thank you for your assistance.