AnsweredAssumed Answered

frequent freezes trace to graphics driver

Question asked by sandy on Jan 17, 2016
Latest reply on Jan 18, 2016 by sandy

I am having problems with my hp envy m6 notebook pc locking up.  Sometimes it is a clear screen with everything unresponsive that requires a hard shutdown.  Sometimes it stops for a second then reboots itself.  Sometimes it has a checkerboard look to the screen.  If left long enough it will reboot itself.  There isn't much in the event viewer that relates to this problem. This happens as little as 10 minutes apart and as much as 3 hours. 

I have run system diagnostic scans on all of the hardware.  Everything comes up clean.  I have done system restore to factory settings (win 8) 4 different times after loading updated drivers and upgrading to windows 8.1 and then windows 10.  This problem does not seem to be effected by the OS or the driver updates.

I have used driver verifier to find that the appexdrv.sys 3.11.3.1 will cause a crash before the system can even boot completely.  This causes a loop that is very hard to get to safe mode to undo the verifier program.  The machine locked up (checkerboard pattern) while I was asking this question. Would someone please help me with this?  Thank you ahead of time

Outcomes