10 Replies Latest reply on Jan 29, 2016 6:42 PM by techguy

AMD Phenom II  cpu  power/TDP rating discrepancy

bldg4bytes

Hi. I have an ECS  A880GM-M7 (V2) motherboard with a AM3 socket that supports Phenom II cpu up to 95W TDP.  After comparing compatible Phenom II cpu on the AMD website, I discovered that the TDP (power) rating specified on the AMD site for many of the cpu is different than the values specified on other websites using the same AMD part # (UPN TRAY).  The discrepancy shows up just about every where I searched on the Internet, as well as on Ebay listings (not that Ebay listings are reliable). Why are these TDP power ratings different for the same part # ?   Is there a simple explanation? I don't think it would be wise to purchase a cpu until I know for sure.  Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks

• Re: AMD Phenom II  cpu  power/TDP rating discrepancy
          Earnhardt

The ECS site tells you exactly which CPU's fit that mobo.

ECS > A880GM-M7 (V2.0)

Probably cheaper in the long run just to upgrade,The last BIOS was almost 6 years ago.

bldg4bytes

Hi.  Thanks for the reply.  I checked the ECS link you provided and the compatible cpus for my motherboard show consistent and matching specs with results I get when I search the internet using the CPU part number provided by ECS.  This definitely eliminates the confusion, but I'm glad the manufacturer provides it, otherwise I wouldn't know how to search for the different versions (with different TDP values) of the cpu with the same part numbers shown on the AMD website. 

Either way THANK YOU VERY MUCH!! 

techguy

AMD states the specific TDP for each CPU it sells. There are often "low power" versions of certain model CPUs also sold by AMD. There are also special CPUs sold only to OEMs that may have a different TDP rating. Thus you need to look up the specifications for the exact model CPU you are interested in.

Not all mobos support all CPUs sold by AMD. You need to confirm that the mobo you have properly supports the CPU you desire to use. Most mobo makers show a list of CPUs on their website that are supported by mobo model and revision number. If your mobo only supports processors up to 95w then you can't use a 125w CPU without risking damage to the mobo and CPU. If you have a mobo that supports CPUs up to 125w, then you can't use AMD CPUs that have a 220w TDP as the mobo VRM circuit is not capable of providing the power required of a 220w CPU and the mobo will eventually burn itself up - as we have seen with lesser AM3+ mobos.

bldg4bytes

Hi.  Thank you for your reply, its greatly appreciated. I knew that I couldn't use a cpu with a higher power rating than my motherboard specs listed, but " if " the motherboard manufacturer didn't provide a list of compatible cpus, how would a person be able find the differing versions (ones with different TDP values but same part number) ?

For example,  if you look at this link (if it works),

965,  you see an AMD Phennom II for an AM3 socket ( UPN TRAY # HDZ965FBK4DGM)  with a TDP rating of 80W, but if you search the internet or Ebay with that same part # you get results indicating that the cpu is rated at 125W.  That's what's confusing to me?  How would I be able to find the 80W version if every search yields the 125W version? 

I'm just asking because I'm a networking student and will probably be doing "builds" and it might help save time when doing research.

But again, THANK YOU VERY MUCH for your replies.  It definitely helps a lot.

techguy

A "tray part" is a part that is only provided to OEMs who build PC systems. The typical consumer version is the "BOX" models which come with heatsink/fans. The consumer version can also be obtained without a HSF. The only means to be 100% sure of the TDP is by using the CPU part number and/or checking AMD's CPU markings printed on the top lid of the CPU.

In regards to why you see 125w 965's on Ebay or elsewhere is because that is the typical, standard consumer model 965 CPU. Any 80w models would be OEM "tray" models that were originally sold to an OEM. If they have leftovers from their 5,000 piece purchase, they often sell them to someone in the wholesale PC market segment who sells them to end users like us.

FWIW- The 80w 965 is a later/more efficient model 965 but it may not be unlocked like the 125w Black model. I haven't researched the 80w version so I do not know. My 125w version was excellent and OC'd nicely.

The interactive AMD markings decoder at the link below may help you if you are able to get the exact processor markings printed on a CPU. Some where on the AMD website they use to show how to decode their processor markings but numerous searches here came up empty... so maybe it's been removed? The actual CPU part number should be listed on the AMD website or elsewhere to confirm if the CPU is truly a 125w or 80w.

Interactive AMD Phenom product ID guide v1.2

bldg4bytes

Thanks again for the reply.  I see what you're saying now, the OEM "tray" numbers are usually installed in pre-built consumer computer systems like a Dell, Lenovo, Asus, etc.,that you'd buy from the pc manufacturer/retailer and the "box" number is a consumer version of just the cpu, i.e., "processor in a box".   I'm glad I asked because otherwise I wouldn't have known how or why it's done this way.  Good to know someone else has used the Phenom II processors I'm looking at. 

I'll use the links you provided for reference.

Thanks

mistered

The simple explanation may be that the information on AMDs website is wrong. If you search for CPUs on AMDs site with 80 watt TDPs all the CPUs you will find are X2's except for the HDZ965FBK4DGM which is an X4.  The correct TDP for the HDZ965FBK4DGM is probably 125 watts like every other site says.

Search AMDs site for 80 watt Phenom CPUs:

The are several 95W Phenom II X4s. For example I have a Phenom II X4 960T.

HDZ965FBK4DGM

1: H = Phenom

2: D = Desktop

3: Z965 = Phenom II X4 965, 3.4 GHz, quad-core, unlocked clock multiplier

4: FB = 125 / 140 Watt, Socket AM3

5: K = 938-pin organic micro-PGA (socket AM3)

6: 4 = 4 cores

7: D = 512 KB L2 cache (per core), 6 MB L3 cache

8: GM = Stepping C3

AMD identification

techguy

AMD's website is seriously lacking in technical information IMO. AMD does however make low power CPU models specifically for OEMs and enterprise applications. The original consumer version 965 black edition CPUs were 125w but that does not mean that an 80w version is/was not available to AMD channel partners. When the 965 was a current CPU AMD had it listed as a 125w CPU on their website which makes me think the 80w unit is a "Tray" product only and not a consumer model. The 80w model 965 might not be unlocked like the 125w model?

mistered

AMD may indeed have a low power version of the Phenom II X4 965 CPU but it would have a different ID printed on it. The HDZ965FBK4DGM is a 125 watt version because the information embedded in the ID indicated that. Also note that the HDZ965FBK4DGM is an OEM/tray version of the processor. The retail version would have a "BOX" at the end. to confuse the matter even more you can sometimes get either the OEM or retail version of a particular CPU. The difference to the buyer is that the OEM version may have a lower price but have a shorter warranty period.

One last thing to clarify is according to the identification information the FB indicates 125/140 watts. It seems that stepping C2 was a 140 watt version while stepping C3 was a 125 watts vetsion.

CPU world lists 3 versions of the Phenom II X4 965:

AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition - HDZ965FBK4DGI / HDZ965FBGIBOX | 140W BE, GI=Stepping C2

AMD Phenom II X4 965 - HDX965FBK4DGM | 125 Watt non-BE, GM=Stepping C3

AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition - HDZ965FBK4DGM / HDZ965FBGMBOX | 125 Watt non-BE, GM=Stepping C3

techguy

Stepping C2 was 140w. Stepping C3 was 125w and the preferred version for OC'ing. That's the version I purchased. Due to several possibilities I suggested to the OP the only means to know for sure what he was buying was to check the info. printed on the CPU lid, assuming the CPUs are not being counterfeited.

The retail versions of these CPUs were available with a HSF and 3 yr. warranty and sold as a "box" item. The retail CPU only, without a HSF and with only a 1 yr. warranty was also available at a slightly lower price. "Tray" or OEM model CPUs are only sold to system builders. If the system builders have left over stock from their 5K - 10K piece purchase lots, the "tray" processor can end up being sold to a wholesaler who then unloads them to the retail channel.  "Tray" or OEM model CPUs, which can be different in specification and operation from similar retail model CPUs, are not sold by AMD to the retail channel.