AnsweredAssumed Answered

AMD R9 Driver Issues (15.12)

Question asked by foozie3moons on Jan 12, 2016
Latest reply on Jan 13, 2016 by kingfish

Hey ladies and gents,

I've been having this issue for about a day now. I went on vacation for a weekend at 7:00 AM Friday 1/8/2016 and got home around 10:00 PM on Monday 1/11/2016. When I start my computer, it boots up normally, however once windows starts I get a black screen (but Windows successfully starts as I can hear the Windows startup sounds). The thing's been powered down all weekend so nothing's changed since Thursday (the last time I used the computer).

Here's my computer specs:

Custom Built Desktop: Yes

Windows 7 64 bit

Graphics: SAPPHIRE NITRO Radeon R9 390 (New purchase, less than Two months old)

Processor: AMD Phenom II X6 1100T 3.31 GHz

Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth 990fx

Power supply: EVGA 220-G2-0850-XR 80 PLUS GOLD 850 W

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16 GB (2 x 8)

Overclocked: No

Can provide additional information if necessary.

I could not do much, and I was actually planning on doing a complete reinstall of windows anyway so I went ahead with that. The problem was fixed, and as I started installing drivers the problem came back. Specifically, the graphics drivers. Currently I have the Radeon Software Crimsion 15.12 (I tried downloading and installing the hotfix 16.1, but it installed 15.12 and when I tried clicking upgrade it brought me back to the original download site... but I digress). I was able to mess around with the driver software for a bit but then I went to restart my computer and the problem came back and I have to now work in safe mode to get anything done (but funnily enough, I can't uninstall drivers in safe mode because safe mode doesn't load/can't find those files).

I suppose my question is what happened? Is it the drivers or the card itself? I'm about to swap it out with an old card that works (VisonTek HD Radeon 7850) and see what happens. I already did this but I was unable to get any drivers installed.

Thanks,

Matt

Outcomes