3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 31, 2016 1:28 PM by da3dalus

Older Eyefinity Setup Not Displaying 2560x1080 on LG UHD Monitor

da3dalus

I have a relatively old Radeon 5850 setup (HIS HD 5850 iCooler V 1GB (256bit) GDDR5 PCIe (DirectX 11/ Eyefinity) < HD 5800 Series < Desktop graphics < Products |… ) that I had setup with a triple monitor setup the past 5 or so years without any issues.  This week one of my 1080p monitors failed so I ended up replacing all 3 monitors with LG UHD resolution monitors (LG 25UM57-P: 25 Class 21:9 UltraWide® IPS LED Gaming Monitor (25 Diagonal) | LG USA ).  I don't game and just need it for productivity/web/trading work.

The issue is only the DP > HDMI monitor is even allowing the resolution to be selected at the native resolution (2560x1080) and even that is all scrambled.  The other screens won't scale up.  At first I thought it was because I only had DVI-I cables so I replaced all 3 with DVI-D to HDMI AmazonBasic's cables but no change was made. 

I did a few registry hacks to force custom resolutions which technically works but the monitors freak out and go into 1280x1024 resolution. 

Sooooo on the specs for my current video card it says resolution up to 2560x1600 but is it actually compatible with the UHD resolution (2560x1080)?

Running all the updated drivers from ATI and no difference.

If it's not compatible - can I pickup a R7 370 that is "4k compatible" and run it with these monitors to get them working?

DVI-D > HDMI

DVI-D > HDMI

DP > DVI-D Active Adapter > HDMI

I appreciate any insights, ideas, and assistance you can provide.

• Re: Older Eyefinity Setup Not Displaying 2560x1080 on LG UHD Monitor
          da3dalus

Just to update...

Purchased an R7 370 as my 5850 was not 2/4k compatible.  Fair enough.  Also got a 4k compatible Display Port to HDMI adapter and have succeeded in getting 1 of the 3 monitors into native 2560x1080 correctly.

The other two DVI to HDMI monitors cannot exceed 1920x1080p even with the updated Radeon drivers supporting custom resolutions.  Each time I go to make a custom resolution at 2560x1080 it just throws me an error message saying the resolution isn't supported by the monitor even though it obviously is.

Do you think the DVI-D to HDMI cables I just bought from Amazon are not HDMI 1.4 compatible and thus won't allow the 2560x1080 resolution?

Should I attempt these (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MCSMX4Y?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=A33H9NEZM9VEGY ) with the HDMI cables included with the monitors?

How are people physically hooking up their 4K eyefinity setups?

da3dalus

One more update.  Just switched a 2nd monitor to 2560x1080 but using HDMI > HDMI rather than the DVI-D port. 

Unfortunately the last DVI-D port still won't accept/display above 1920x1080 and i'm starting to suspect it's a limitation of the DVI-D (despite everywhere saying it can display 2560x1600).

Looks like I wasted a 170.00 bucks on a card with not enough 2k/4k outputs.  I guess i need to go buy another card with 2x Mini DP ports and an HDMI so I can get 3 4k compatible output streams.

da3dalus

Well solved the issue.  There is some type of bug/hardware issue with the R7 displaying above 1920x1080 via DVI-D.  I could get two monitors at 2k resolution using an active DP to HDMI adapter and the HDMI to HDMI cable but the 3rd going via DVI-D (not DVI-I) and using the correct DVI-D cables would never output above 1080p.  So how did I solve this?

I bought an Nvidia GTX950... plugged it in and made NO changes to the cables I was running and voila all 3 monitors running 2k resolution without any issues.  On this setup i'm still using one active DP>HDMI adapter, one HDMI to HDMI cable, and one DVI-D adapter to HDMI cable as I was using before but for some reason Nvidia supports this correctly.  Not sure if this is a software or hardware issue but AMD support said the R7 would support it and that clearly is not the case.  Was an Eyefinity fan boy for 6 years.  Never again.  Wasted 3 weeks and a couple hundred bucks trying to solve this and it turns out I wasn't the problem in the scenario.