AnsweredAssumed Answered

Black screen with games/videos, with r9 290

Question asked by bbrowning43 on Jan 11, 2016
Latest reply on Jan 12, 2016 by bbrowning43

It appears that many people have been having similar issues as me with the r9 200 series graphics cards. Some people are getting the issues resolved through various methods, some people aren't. I'm one of the latter.

What's happening is that whenever I install an AMD graphics driver for the r9 200 series, version 15.11 or later, my system freezes whenever I watch a video (in a browser, haven't tried using a media player), run a game, or make a video call with skype. The screen goes black, and the system becomes unresponsive. If I uninstall the drivers, and then re-install 15.7, the problem continues. If I perform a windows system restore, the problem continues. The only fix is to perform a clean install of windows 10 and install the 15.7 drivers. I figured this 16.1 hotfix would be just that... a fix for this issue as it seems to be a frequently occurring problem. Alas... I am disappointed. Any thoughts? Thanks!

My system:

Windows 10 64-bit

ASUS M5 A99X EVO (not oc'd)

AMD FX 4170 quad core

Sapphire Vapor-X R9 290

775 W PSU

8 gb RAM

A correlating question:

This issue occurred with 15.11 drivers, as well as the Crimson 15.12 drivers. I clean installed windows 10 with 15.7. When 16.1 came out, I installed that. As it is a "hotfix", do I need to install 15.12, and then install 16.1, or is 16.1 a stand-alone installation?

Outcomes