1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 12, 2016 2:22 PM by waltc

Shader cache not working in many games Crimson 16.1

ltron

Shader cache is not working (whether forced on or using AMD optimised) in Elite:Dangerous, Project Cars, Dirt Rally, Dreamfall Chapters, Ori and the Blind Forest, Mind a Path to Thalamus and 3dMark/3dMark 11. No corresponding file in the DxCache folder will be created for these games/applications. I am using Windows 10 64bit and my GPU is a Sapphire R9 390x Tri-X

I noticed this since in Elite:Dangerous, pre-compilation of shaders takes place before reaching the main menu and only takes a couple of seconds if shader cache is working, when it is not working it takes ~15 seconds (I have launched the game many times and it doesn't work with this driver yet works perfectly fine with previous ones).

I have also noticed that in the file "gmdb.blb" located at "\Userprofile\Appdata\Local\AMD\CN\gmdb.blb" all affected games have an "amdId" of -1 whereas the unaffected games have a 3 digit "amdId" e.g. Witcher 3's amdId=701; GTA 5's amdId=284 and DragonAge Inquisition's amdId=190. However, the frame limiter feature still works in affected games(tested in Dreamfall Chapters). 

Does anyone else have this problem? Maybe it's not a bug, but a change that AMD have made deliberately. I have reported this to AMD.

I have a Sapphire Tri-X r9 390X at stock; 5820K at stock; Asus Sabertooth X99 with latest BIOS; 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz DDR@2133MHz; Corsair RMi 1000W PSU; Noctua NH-d15s; Samsung 256GB 840 Pro; Crucial 256GB M4; Western Digital Velociraptor 300GB; Windows 10 64bit with latest updates.

• Re: Shader cache not working in many games Crimson 16.1
          waltc

Shader Cache does not seem to make much of a performance difference, if any...remember that because of the way AMD drivers are built they've never benefited from having a shader cache--unlike nVIdia drivers, which do benefit from it.  It seems to help the performance of nVidia drivers whereas AMD performance hasn't required such a cache to maximize performance--might actually slow some things down in AMD's case.  Not sure why they've been put into the Crimson interface...It's possible that in a tiny selection of games it might make a tiny performance difference--maybe...;)   Hopefully someone with more knowledge than I have can chime in with an explanation at some point...