21 Replies Latest reply on Mar 4, 2016 2:13 PM by amdmatt

Problem with Crimson drivers.

tehgrcarnifex

I can't get the Banner Advertisments on Radeon Settings to work no matter what. They didn;t work with earlier Crimson drivers nor with 16.1 Hortfix. Ticking/unticking the checkbox in preferences doesn't help at all. As you can see in the attachment picture, I have the checkbox ticked but the ads do not load.

• Re: Problem with Crimson drivers.
          amdmatt

I suspect your Firewall or Antivirus is blocking the images which are downloaded from an AMD server.

colesdav

Same problem here. Anyone got any ideas on how to fix this or why it is not working?

colesdav

Hi,

I have used Preferences _> Report issue, and submitted the following support request.

Hello.

I see no Banner Ads in Radeon Crimson 16.1.1.

Preferences -> Banner Adverisements Checkbox does nothing. Tried ticking it on and off.

I use Norton Antivirus, I have temporarily disabled it but it makes no difference.

I have logged in as both administrator and user account.

I use latest Updated version of Windows 8.1.

I have completely installed the 16.1.1 Driver.

My system is clean (sfc/scannow and DISM/ScanHealth are clean).

The driver is performing well and producing excellent 3DMark Firestrike results.

Please help with telling me the following information:

(1). Where I should find banner ads folder in my PC.

(2). Workaround / Solution if possible.

Thanks.

colesdav

Hello.

Thanks for your reply.

First of all with Norton on, Internet connected and installing under my User Account, the Radeon Crimson 16.1.1 Software reports that it installed o.k.

However I have just tried your suggestions as follows.

(1). If I disable my internet connection and have installation checkbox "Update Driver Automatically" set on  I get an installation error.

(2). If If I disable my internet connection and have installation checkbox "Update Driver Automatically" set off  The installation completes without error. I still get no banner adds on restart. Internet connection on or off. Norton Firewall / Antivirus enabled or not.

(3). I tried installation as Administrator without Norton Antivirus, with or without Internet connection. Nothing. No Banner ads.

No luck. No Banner ads.

RE: "uninstalling your AntiVirus and Firewall" - AMD is trying to release Driver Updates 6 times a year as far as I have seen.

If Users have to completely uninstall their Antivirus Software just to update their AMD Drivers then and see Banner Ads ... I doubt that will happen.

If someone else can retry these suggestions then please let me know if it works.

colesdav

Hi Sorry I just noticed some of my text got cut out ... my mistake.

It should have read as follows:

(1). If I disable my internet connection and have installation checkbox "Update Driver Automatically" set on  I get an installation error.

(2). If If I disable my internet connection and have installation checkbox "Update Driver Automatically" set off  I get an installation error.

I need to have the internet connected. The  "Update Driver Automatically" does not seem to do anything. I tested various install options  and sequences.

What ever i set this box to I always end up with the very latest Crimson drivers and interface installed.

The installation completes without error. I still get no banner adds on restart. Internet connection on or off. Norton Firewall / Antivirus enabled or not.

(3). I tried installation as Administrator without Norton Antivirus, with or without Internet connection. Nothing. No Banner ads.

No luck. No Banner ads.

colesdav

RE: My statement " The  "Update Driver Automatically" does not seem to do anything. I tested various install options  and sequences."

More explanation of what I did later in my next post.

calvina999

Theoretically internal firmware controlled thermal limits should prevent any permanent damage to the GPU silicon itself, but the resultant heat might negatively effect the surrounding components or the PCB itself, causing GPU failure. It’s certainly a serious issue that needed to be attended to, especially hot on the heels of the release of their new Radeon Software driver GUI and platform.

You can Download the latest ADM latest versions from here

colesdav

Hi

I filed a bug report and an AMD Service Notice opened. The support and suggestions have been prompt and helpful. I tried everything suggested, but nothing works.

I have tried uninstall using AMD Install Manager from Windows 8.1 control panel followed by AMD cleanup utility (amdcleanuputility).

Followed by Driver installations of the following versions:

Here is what I saw,

Driver Version.                                                                                           Can I see Banner Ads?

Catalyst Control Center.

==================

13-12_win7_win8_64_dd_ccc_whql                                                                              Yes.  

14-4-win7-win8-win8.1-64-dd-ccc-whql                                                                         Yes. 

amd-catalyst-omega-14.12-with-dotnet45-win7-64bit                                                    Yes.  

Crimson:

=======

radeon-crimson-15.11-win8.1-64bit                                                                                No.

radeon-crimson-15.12-win8.1-64bit                                                                                No.

whql-radeon-software-crimson-edition-16.1-64bit-win10-win8.1-win7-jan7                   No.  

non-whql-64bit-radeon-software-crimson-16.1.1-win10-win8.1-win7-feb3                    No.

Note for the above I tried disabling Norton Smart Firewall and Auto Protect as well.

Also note regarding the AMD Crimson 16.1.1 Hotfix: (non-whql-64bit-radeon-software-crimson-16.1.1-win10-win8.1-win7-feb3)

For anyone else investigating this issue on the forum.

If you do the following:

Uninstall your existing driver.

Run AMD cleanup utility (amdcleanuputility).

Install non-whql-64bit-radeon-software-crimson-16.1.1-win10-win8.1-win7-feb3

Start Crimson.

Preferences->Additional Radeon Settings.

The Button has some lowercase text saying "Visit amd.com". Tf you click on it a web browser opens up.

The issue is that the CCCslim *(Radeon Additional Settings)"  does not seem to be in the AMD Crimson 16.1.1 Hotfix installation,.

I tried a fresh uninstall of Crimson 16.1 followed by a reinstall of 16.1.1 this morning and I have just checked Norton Quarantine folder. There is nothing in there from today. I am totally stumped. I know it is not urgent necessarily but I just like to get things working. Also I am sure that other AMD Crimson Users may want this issue solved, and AMD marketing & partners will want their target audience to at least be able to see the Ads.

I think the the new Catalyst Control Center is a  great piece of software. It is so much easier  to use and navigate to the menus.

It's just this Banner Ad issue is really strange.

Is there any chance there is a specific website I could visit which is used as the source for the banner ads to test if Norton is blocking that or if my ISP is blocking it?

There is one last thing I have just thought of.

I use BT Broadband.I have parental controls set. It has blocked some totally innocent Web Sites in the past.

Perhaps that' banning / blocking AMD ad's in some way but I very much doubt it.

Let me disable that and see what happens.

I will get back to you.

I hope this helps.

Thanks.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                            colesdav

I just set the BT filters to off.

The filters are definitely off ( best if I don't say how I confirmed that  ;-) ).

In  any case ...

I just started Radeon Crimson and checked the Banner Ads box and clicked on Done.

No still no Banner Ads.

Was worth a try though.

I am currently out of ideas.

Perhaps someone else seeing this missing AMD Crimson Banner Ads issue can try the following please?

=============================================================================================================

Reboot your PC.

Start Crimson 16.1.1.

(1). Please check if you now see banner ads or not.

(2). Also please check to see if you get the following issue:

Preferences->Additional Radeon Settings.

The button has some lowercase text saying "Visit amd.com". If you click on it a web browser opens up.

The issue is that the CCCslim "(Radeon Additional Settings)"  does not seem to be in the AMD Crimson 16.1.1 Hotfix installation,.

If you do see this please report back to this thread and file a bug report on it.

The fix is to do the following.

The fix is to uninstall 16.1.1 through the windows control panel, reboot, install 16.1, reboot, remove 16.1 through the windows control panel, reboot, install 16.1.1, reboot.

Radeon Additional Settings should work and you should be able to find cccslim.exe executeable on your hard drive.

============================================================================================================

Thanks.

colesdav

Here is an Update with what I have tried to date.

For any version of Crimson I have installed to date, up to and including 16.1.1 I am unable to see any Banner Ads when I set

Home->Preferences->Banner Advertisements On in the GUI.

I wish to see the banner Ads in AMD Crimson. I know for sure that I am not the only person in this situation.

I have so far tried the following:

(1). Multiple uninstall-> AMD Cleanup Utility -> Reinstall Loops of all versions of Crimson.

(2). Disabling Norton Antivirus.

(3). Checking that Norton is allowing CNext through my firewall. It is.

(4). I have checked that my Windows 8.1 Ad/Privacy Settings allow Ads through for Windows Apps.

In order to solve this issue I need to know the following information.

(A). Which Windows 8.1 processes should I see in task manager which are required by AMD Crimson to allow Banner ADS to work.

(B). Which Windows 8.1 services should I see in task manager which are required by AMD Crimson to allow Banner ADS to work.

(C). Which Ad service is AMD Crimson using?

(D). Does this service make use of my browsers such as Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox?

(D). Are there any Specific Windows 8.1 Settings which must be set to allow me to see these ADs.

colesdav

Hi,

Can you please check what your location setting is in Windows.

Here is what worked for me - Note Norton Internet Security is still active, BT Parental Controls are on, I did nothing special to change any Windows Advert Settings.

I am using Windows 8.1. patched to latest updates version. My filesytem is chkdsk, sfc/scannow. DISM clean.

(1). Go to Control Panel -> Region -> Change Location.

(2). Change your location setting to United States.

(3). Log off from Windows.

(4). Log back into Windows.

(5). Start Radeon Crimson (CNext).

(6). Open Preferences and check that Banner Adverts are on.

You should see the following in the file Fix_Banner_Ads.jpg

Fix_Banner_Ads.jpgPlease let me know if this works for you.

In my case if I set the location to France, United Kingdom, US Virgin Islands, I get no Banner Ads.

Thanks.

Colesdav

2 of 2 people found this helpful