2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 8, 2016 9:37 AM by n2t

Help with Lenovo X315 and factory "upgrade"

n2t

Hello group.  I was given a Lenovo x315 Erazer for xmas by my wonderful girlfriend.  I was previously gaming on a 9yo laptop that boasted an Intel core2 duo 2.26ghz cpu and GeForce 9800M 1gb dedicated card.  When my new Lenovo came, it boasted an A8 7600 APU paired with an R7-240 graphics card and "crossfire duo graphics"  When I booted the system however, I found I had an A8 7600 APU and an R9 360 2gb (GDDR5) graphics card and the APU based graphics was disabled.  Am I losing anything with this APU/GPU combination compared to crossfire?  It seems a very strange "upgrade" as it isn't utilizing the purpose of this APU.  However on the AMD website I'm also seeing that the R9 chips are turning up on the crossfire charts slowly.  Can someone explain to me if this "upgrade" has helped or hurt me with this processor? 

• Re: Help with Lenovo X315 and factory "upgrade"
          amdmatt

What OS is installed and what AMD driver is present?

How do you know one device is disabled? Do both appear in Device Manager?

I would recommend updating your system with the latest available drivers from the Lenovo website. Your system should have been configured correctly by Lenovo so that it was working out of the box, so to speak.

• Re: Help with Lenovo X315 and factory "upgrade"
              n2t

I know one is disabled because when I check AMD catalyst it shows the R9 and the R7 and lists one as enabled graphics and one as disabled graphics.  I think they decided to run the A8 as a simple CPU and the R9 as dedicated graphics and skip the cross fire all together.  I'm running windows 10, not sure which driver I have at the moment, they all installed on startup.