29 Replies Latest reply on Feb 10, 2016 8:15 AM by zealotki11er

Witcher 3 CFX Scaling

zealotki11er

Been holding off finishing the game because how bad CFX scales for me. I heard SLI scales well in this game. I got Witcher 3 since launch and tested it with every driver since then. Up to a certain patch there was flickering but that was fixed. After game patch 1.07 CFX scaling was nonexistent. I could tolerate 45-55 fps @ 1440p but now that I moved to 4K it's really bad. GPU usage does not go over 55% for both cards and CPU is under 20%. What is odd is how the fps jumps. Never seen this behavior with other games. Just looking at something without moving I get 25 fps, 35 fps and 45 fps. Not sure if its a driver problem or game problem. The fact that SLI works lead me to bealive its a driver problem but then since game patch started this problem it could be the game. Either way this is my favorite game of all time and I think AMD should fix it before the next Expansion.

Edit: My friend over that Overclock.net explains the problem. It basically happened after patch 1.07 was released.

Witcher 3 (1.07 Patch) AMD Crossfire Performance Warning.

• Re: Witcher 3 CFX Scaling
          amdmatt

I would recommend checking that the patch has not altered the ini file to re-enable temporal AA, as this has happened to me. I would also make sure it has not switched the game to borderless windowed mode, as this has also happened to me after a game patch.

Have you tried Catalyst/Crimson drivers? Does that have any effect on the scaling?

zealotki11er

I have AA off ingame and always turn it off at ini file. Game always in fullscreen else the second card would not even activate. I have basically tried all drivers since the game launched. I took a break for the game during school hoping there would be a fix and game runs poorly still. Currently running latest drivers and that did not help.

zealotki11er

What do I need to do for AMD to acknowledge this problem? It is not just me but it is many people that have CFX and play Witcher 3 now.

amdmatt

I notice you said the game broke after a patch. The ini settings and borderless window mode sometimes go back to their defaults after an update, so i would check to make sure they have not defaulted. Please also make sure the in game setting of AA is disabled.

I will install the Witcher 3 to test on my system.

zealotki11er

So i checked everything again.

On the Graphics i have everything set to Ultra. VSync is OFF, FPS is set yo Unlimited, All Hair Works settings are set to off, FullScreen.

On the PostProcessing i have Motion Blur, Blur, Boom, Anti-Aliasing Off. Everything else is set to MAX.

I opened .ini files again and made sure EnableTemporalAA=false.

Now with CFX ON i am getting 22-35 fps. That is fine and all since I am running 4K but GPU usage ~ 57% from both cards. That is not the only problem. The game stutters like a mad dog. This is the stutter what stops the game for 0.2s at a time. Its basically unplayable.

I turned off CFX and opened the game and was getting ~ 30 fps and 100% GPU usage. Tried moving and it was way better. The game was slow because only 30 fps but there was not stutter at all. Clearly CFX is broken in this game. Most people dont seem to case since one card can play fine @ 1440p and under if you dont monitor fps and most people dont have 4K.

I check other data like CPU usage which was very low ~ 15-20%

RAM was well under 8GB eventhough i have 16GB.

vRAM was under 3GB.

Edit: Tried 16.1 Hotfix and made no difference.

jdgrieme

Download the CCC beta prior to crimson. It works awesome with W3. I have tried to update to crimson software of each version multiple times, and have issues each time. Now while the hotfix fixed witcher cfx for me, it made it so freesynce wont work. I am driving a high resolution so I like my technologies to be working.

OP try CCC beta. You are welcome. just trust me. I am playing W3 now. When two fury x cannot drive ultra 3440x1440 in any crimson version ime, it's not our hardware.

zealotki11er

Yes I have tried 15.11.1 CCC version. I am on 16.1 now. Seems to be a problem with 4K mostly. I get ok scaling at 3440x1440 but as soon as I go 4K everything goes to hell.

t77chevy

my above screenshots are native 4k resolution , i currently have one of my gpus out for rma but this game scales decent with quadfire , the drivers will work for this game , several patches have been released for this game and they don't always get installed correctly automatically . and the game being on a seperate drive shouldnt be an issue as i use four drives myself .

zealotki11er

Thats 100% GPU usage. I dont get that. I am going to try a fresh install of Windows and see if it help. I also repaired the game after all the patches where installed.

zealotki11er

All Crimson version are broken for me. If I change settings they do not apply for the game. I changed back to CCC and they all apply fine. Tried with AFR and GPU usage goes up to 90-99% and fps is 45-55 fps. This is what CFX should be getting with my system. Even when CFX works in lower resolution the game still stutter at 50 fps. If this is not fixed soon I am dropping CFX and maybe take a break from AMD. None of the problems I have had in past 5 years has ever been fixed.

t77chevy

drivers can not fix a broken game engine and a little googling will show problems on both sides , and also notice system ram speed/timing makes a good impact on fps , for comparison i run 32g 1866 10 10 10 11 adata , faster ram shows better fps and is one of few games that a dedicated gpu will show any difference , this game has about the worse cache swap I've seen " been gaming a long time " , while i completely understand your aggravation , its aimed at gpu drivers and not the game devs like it should be  

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                          zealotki11er

I got DDR3-2400 CL11 RAM. This is not a problem with CPU/RAM because its 4K. Its all GPU. Here is the problem. I dont care if its a problem with the game engine or AMD. The thing with CFX is that AMD has to work with developer so that their technology works in their games. Yes SLI has problems too but nothing like CFX in Witcher 3. Developers could care less about some CFX users. Its AMD that is selling the hardware.

jdgrieme

have you tried DDU? According to msi, the numbers say catalyst beta scales the best in xfire. With two fury X I am able to achieve max settings and 60+ fps if on catalyst beta. 4k on ultra for TW3 seems impossible for the average enthusiast. However I only get both gpus working 100% while xfiring on the beta. Otherwise the led indicators and msi, show the clocks not locking at 100% and instead flucating between 50-100% utilization. Crimson is more efficent as in cutscenes dont make my fury xs run at 100%, but in game is bonkers.

zealotki11er

I am going to try everything that is possible. I would not do this for any other game. I like this game too much to give up. I will get a spare SSD and try Windows 7 and Windows 10 clean install and see if that helps. Never had success with DDU and heard if does not do a full clean in Windows 10. Even if I got 4K to scale the same way as 1440p ~ 75% it is still a very stuttery experience. I dont remember the last time I played a game that stuttered like this with CFX. Even FC4 did not stutter like this.

zealotki11er

So i decided to give my old resolution a try

2560x1440 and I am getting ~ 65 fps with GPU usage 75%

This is very strange. How can GPU usage be higher at lower resolutions.

Tried 3K (3200x1800). GPU usage now 85% and fps is ~ 55 fps. Its a bit more stuttery.

I then gave 4K another go and fps drop all away down to 25-30 fps with GPU usage @ 55%.

This is almost like a vRAM problem but vRAM is under 3.5GB.

It is almost like a Internal problem with the card. I would have blamed the 4GB buffer but GTX980 and Fury have 4GB.

Edit : Just to make sure Ultra Settings are not the problem. I turned everything off and set it on Low.

1440p - 130 fps.

4K - 44 fps.

t77chevy

drop the oc and see if it improves , also delete the config file and let it make a new , also make sure in crimson under overdrive the power slider is all the way to the right

zealotki11er

Thanks for replying. Much appreciated.

I have tried with no OC. That did not change anything.

I also have a Power Meter. When I play BF4 where i get 99% GPU usage power Draw is ~ 700W

In Witcher 3 its 500W so that cards are not working fully.

I even tried with 50% Power and that did nothing.

Witcher 3 was never detected in Crimson as it's on a secondary SSD. I had to add it manually. I also removed it and set global settings. Neither helped. Something is going on @ 4K causing problem.

zealotki11er

Been some time since I posted here. I reinstalled Windows 10 again and Installed a fresh copy of Witcher 3 and latest 16.1.1 drivers. Now the GPU usage has gone up. Problem is I am getting 40-50 fps which is really nice but as I move from place to place the fps will drop especially in places where things have not loaded yet. Now here is the problem. Just like 1440p the games stutters with CFX. If I run I get microstutter every 2-3 seconds. This happens even if fps is over 40. I have tried all the custom tools like Radeon Pro and different drivers but the stutter seems like everyone with CFX has.

zealotki11er

Update:

Did a fresh Install of Windows 10 with the latest 16.1.1 Drivers.

CFX works fine 1440p or 1800p in the sense that there is scaling. If I do not limit fps to 60 1440p stutters. 1800p is around 50-60 range while 1440p is 60-80 range. When I stiwch to 4K for whatever reason I lose CFX scaling. Different events in the game activate CFX back ON and OFF. When its OFF I get 25-30 fps with GPU usage ~ 55% on both cards. Game is unplayable and stuttery. When its ON GPU usage is 70-85% and I get 40-50 fps. Even still its supper stutter. When you run it feels like you skip 2-3 frames on the screen. I could fix this  by limiting fps to 30 like I did for 1440p but then even Single GPU can get this level off performance without having to worry about CFX coming ON and OFF.

Not sure what to do anymore. Most of my friends with CFX have given up on this game.

AMD has done nothing to help me in any way. This kind of support sucks. So much for CFX. Would have been "OK" if its a couple of games here and there but its so many games that have problems. This is just one I want to play badly. The lesson here is don't bother with CFX. Not because its "Bad" technology but AMD just does not have what it takes to back it up.

This year will be time I get new GPU. For sure it will be a Single GPU setup. I see really no reason to staying with same brand if playing field is the same. I have recommended AMD for year and year but really its time to get real.