8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 6, 2016 5:52 PM by kingfish

x1200 and CCC for win 8

alan.brosz@gmail.com

need help pls....what driver and Catalyst Control Center (CCC) can I load on Win 8 Professional??? X1200 driver can be found and loaded so x1200 ATI Radeon Series shows in Device Manager but CCC shows non-complete options (actually about 4-5 which have no impact on configuring display characteristics). Any suggestions/recommendations pls. Laptop is A215-s7425 w/ W8Pro x64...thx

• Re: x1200 and CCC for win 8
          kingfish

AMD and Microsoft stopped support for Win 8. Windows 8.1 is a free upgrade and has full support/drivers, etc., but the x1200 doesn't meet the requirements.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            alan.brosz@gmail.com

isthere a fix that will allow x1200 driver and CCC to operate on W8.1 x32/x64? You say "no support" but the web has several fixes using a modder.net file and legacy VISTA driver x32/x64.

I will do some more research and let you know what I find. I would like to know why x1200 and CCC cannot operate on W8.1 x32 or x64 using legacy drivers from VISTA and/or W7

kingfish

I can't answer for a mod making it work, I can say the x1200 is too old for any OS later/newer than Vista. The WDDM requirements is just one of the problems.

alan.brosz@gmail.com

i think you mean Win7 x32/x64....right????? I could be wrong.

kingfish

History[edit]

WDDM 1.0[edit]

Windows Vista introduced WDDM 1.0 as a new display driver architecture designed to be better performing, more reliable, and support new technologies including HDCP.[17]

WDDM 1.1[edit]

Windows 7 supports major additions to WDDM known as WDDM 1.1; the details of this new version were unveiled at WinHEC 2008. New features include:[10]

Hardware acceleration of GDI and Direct2D/DirectWrite operations helps reduce memory footprint in Windows 7, because DWM compositing engine no longer needs to keep a system memory copy of all surfaces used by GDI/GDI+, as in Windows Vista.[22][23][24]

DXGI 1.1, Direct3D 11, Direct2D, and DirectWrite were made available with Windows Vista Platform Update; however GDI/GDI+ in Vista continues to rely on software rendering[25] and the Desktop Window Manager continues to use Direct3D 9Ex.[26]

WDDM 1.1 drivers are backward compatible with WDDM 1.0 specification; both 1.0 and 1.1 drivers can be used in Windows Vista with or without the Platform Update.[10]

WDDM 1.2[edit]

Windows 8 includes WDDM 1.2[27][28] and DXGI 1.2.[28][29] New features were first previewed at the Windows BUILD 2011 conference and include performance improvements as well as support forstereoscopic 3D rendering and video playback.

Other major features include preemptive multitasking of the GPU with finer granularity (DMA buffer, primitive, triangle, pixel, or instruction-level),[30] reduced memory footprint, improved resource sharing, and faster timeout detection and recovery. 16-bit color surface formats (565, 5551, 4444) are mandatory in Windows 8, and Direct3D 11 Video supports YUV 4:4:4/4:2:2/4:2:0/4:1:1 video formats with 8, 10, and 16-bit precision, as well as 4 and 8-bit palettized formats.[31]

WDDM 1.0/1.1 only allows rudimentary task scheduling using "batch queue" granularity; improvements to multitasking, as well as fast context switching and support for virtual memory, were initially expected in versions tentatively named WDDM 2.0 and WDDM 2.1, which were announced at WinHEC 2006.[32][33][34]

WDDM 1.3[edit]

Windows 8.1 includes WDDM 1.3[35] and DXGI 1.3.[36] New additions include the ability to trim DXGI adapter memory usage, multi-plane overlays, overlapping swap chains and swap chain scaling, select backbuffer subregion for swap chain and lower-latency swap chain presentation. Driver feature additions include wireless displays (Miracast), YUV format ranges, cross-adapter resources and GPU engine enumeration capabilities.

WDDM 2.0[edit]

Windows 10 includes WDDM 2.0, which is designed to dramatically reduce workload on the kernel-mode driver for GPUs that support virtual memory addressing,[37] to allow multithreading parallelism in the user-mode driver and result in lower CPU utilization.[38][39][40][41]

Direct3D 12 API, announced at Build 2014, requires WDDM 2.0. The new API will do away with automatic resource-management and pipeline-management tasks and allow developers to take full low-level control of adapter memory and rendering states.