2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 27, 2016 2:33 PM by sleeper

Graphic corruption in Dragon Age Inquisition: Is it the game, the driver or the hardware?

sleeper

Hi!

After buing a new graphics card and finally finding time to play Dragon Age Inquisition over the holidays, I encountered some graphics corruption. When I open the inventory and rotate the character image, depending on the angle of rotation, the character is overlaid with a pattern of semi-transparent black squares. This occured at character creation, every time I open the inventory and I noticed it shortly in cutscenes and a few time on objects in the environment, too. Screenshots can be found at https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BwHbp8WRXZ6kSEZJdm12VHhWWGc, this also includes a short video and another video showing the game graphics settings (basically, everything on maximum).

Does this look like a problem with the game, the driver or could my hardware be faulty?

Playing around with the settings, I noticed the following (always checked the inventory screen):

• no visible errors when using window-mode and not maximizing the window
      • no visible errors on lower resolutions than 1920x1080 (my screen's native resolution)
      • no visible errors using Mantle instead of D3D11, but slower performance and longer loading times
      • no visible errors when setting the "resolution scale" option to 90 or lower
      • game terminates abruptly on loading a save when setting "Shadow Quality" to "low", no crash but still corruption on "medium" or higher
      • no visible errors when setting "Multisample Antialiasing" to "off", but game crashes while returning from inventory to options or other menu entries

I had the corruption with Crimson 15.11.1 and 15.12. I played around with the game options using Crimson 15.12. Installing the current beta driver 15.11.1 (without Crimson) removed the errors but seemed to be a little slower.

I'm using Windows 7 64bit with all current patches.

My hardware specs:

• graphics card is a Sapphire Nitro Radeon R9 380X, overclocked by the manufacturer to 1040MHz system and 1500MHz memory
      • CPU is a Intel i7 860, 4 cores with HyperThreading, 2.8GHz
      • displays connected are an Asus VK246H via HDMI and a Samsung SyncMaster 2443 via DVI (the latter one disabled in windows while gaming)
      • mainboard is a Gigabyte P55-USB3 with BIOS F9
      • 8GB (4x2GB) RAM (Kingston HyperX DDR3)
      • power supply: Enermax modu 82+ EMD625AWT, see https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BwHbp8WRXZ6kU0FlSXpRSG1CcW8, the graphics card is connected to 2 6-pin connectors, but both sit on the same cable (should I use 2 on different cables instead?)
      • drives are 1x Samsung 1TB 7200rpm HDD (boot), 1x Samsung 2TB 5400rpm HDD (Storage), 1x Samsung SSD 850 Evo (games), 1x LG BluRay
      • sound card is a Creative X-Fi (PCIe)
      • 6 system fans (some illuminated)
      • keyboard: Cherry MX Board 6.0
      • mouse: Logitech G5