8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 9, 2016 3:04 PM by drhudgens

Temp running at 106 celsius.

drhudgens

Temp running at 106 celsius while playing battlefield 4. I have got the cooling fans running at 75%. I have removed the side cover to the case to allow more air flow, but it doesn't help. What else can I do to get the temp down?

• Re: Temp running at 106 celsius.
          amdmatt

What GPU are you using?

What is your case cooling like?

What are your full system/os specs and what AMD driver version are you using?

drhudgens

The GPU is 2 AMD Radeon  HD 5670, tried running with crossfire on and off, internal cooling temp for the CPU is running around 75-80 deg. celsius, OS Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, 10 GB RAM, i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz 2.67HGz, and it's a Alienware Aurora. I hope I answered all of your questions, your help is very much appreciated.

tomtalk24

When was the last time you game the system a good dusting, including GPU/CPU heat sink and fans? Remove the GPUs, unscrew the sink cover, get a paint brush and face mask.

drhudgens

I have never removed the GPU's to dust them, but I will give it a shot. Also, I forgot to mention that I did upsize my monitor to a 27", but according to the

specs on the GPU's, I should be able to use a 27" monitor. I have even lowered the resolution to 1680x1050 and also in the games I play.

tomtalk24

That's what my money is on.

You could use a 100" screen if you wanted, the resolution is the bit your limited to. Your GPU has a good standards...

ATI Avivo™ HD video & display technology3
                          • UVD 2 dedicated video playback accelerator
                          • Advanced post-processing and scaling4
                          • Dynamic contrast enhancement and color correction
                          • Brighter whites processing (blue stretch)
                          • Independent video gamma control
                          • Dynamic video range control
                          • Support for H.264, VC-1, MPEG-2, and Adobe Flash5
                          • Dual-stream 1080p playback support 6,7
                          • DXVA 1.0 & 2.0 support
                          • Integrated dual-link DVI output with HDCP8
                            • Max resolution: 2560x16009
                          • Integrated DisplayPort output
                            • Max resolution: 2560x16009
                          • HDMI® (With 3D, Deep Color and x.v.Color™)
                            • Max resolution: 1920x12009
                          • Integrated VGA output
                            • Max resolution: 2048x15369
                            • 3D stereoscopic display/glasses support10

http://www.amd.com/en-us/products/graphics/desktop/5000/5670#

But yeah take them out and give it a good clean up, I would recommend the CPU also. 72 is the safe max. You shouldn't need to remove the heat sink off the CPU unless you fancy a deep clean, just pop off the fan and clean both.

Let us know how you get on.

drhudgens

Well, I removed both GPU's and cleaned them thoroughly. Right now the temp is at 85 degrees Celsius just with a browser window open

and fan is running at 60%. While cleaning the GPU's, I did find a crack in the cooling fan housing, but the fan still works. I have decided

to start looking at a whole other system. I would really value your opinion on the one I looked at, so here are the specs on it. Please let

me know what you guys think, or is there anything else I can do with this one to get the temp on the GPU's even lower. You guys have been a big help.

Processor     3.5 GHz FX-Series Six-Core FX-6300

RAM     8 GB SDRAM DDR3

Hard Drive     1 TB SATA III

Card Description     AMD Radeon R7 250

Graphics Card Ram Size     2 GB

Other Technical Details

Brand Name     CyberpowerPC

Series     Gamer Ultra

Item model number     GUA3400A

Item Weight     29.6 pounds

Product Dimensions     18.4 x 7.6 x 18.9 inches

Item Dimensions L x W x H     18.4 x 7.6 x 18.9 inches

Processor Brand     AMD

Processor Count     6

Hard Drive Interface     Serial ATA-600

Hard Drive Rotational Speed     7200 RPM

Optical Drive Type     24X DVD±RW DL

tomtalk24

Looks good, wont knock a house down but for general day to day stuff mixed with some not bad gaming, its okay

The only other thing I can think about with your current PC would be to download GPUz and check using the graphs if your GPU is doing anything in the background? Any usage? Maybe try MSI AfterBurner and click on the "I" and see what 3D applications are in use.

Sorry the cleaning didn't work btw, hopefully you got some sort of therapeutic benefit from it.

drhudgens

Thanks for the help, it was therapeutic, plus I found a  crack in the fan housing, but it still runs. Also, really started looking more at the ccc, discovered that GPU 1 is running my monitor which is the one thats running 106 degrees and GPU 2 when I'm gaming is running at 80 degrees, so wondering if its the monitor causing GPU 1 to run so hot or is it time to replace it due to the crack in the fan housing may be affecting the cooling capability. Just a thought, trying to think outside the box I guess.