AnsweredAssumed Answered

Why is my CPU running so hot

Question asked by conorator999999 on Jan 5, 2016
Latest reply on Jan 6, 2016 by t77chevy

My new Athlon x4 860K quad core processor that has only been in use for about a week and a half is running at 60+ degrees Celsius in idle and under minimal load. As the load creeps up, the temps skyrocket to as high as 102 degrees Celsius, recorded on 1/4/16 under 25% load after about 4 hours of use. This processor is being cooled by a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo with Arctic Silver 5 thermal compound. It has two fans pushing air through it and a case exhaust fan pulling the hot air out of the case. The temperature spike on 1/4/16 lasted for almost an hour with temps above 90 degrees Celsius the entire time, mostly 95 degrees and higher. I don't know why this is happening and every person I ask either has no clue, tells me to remount the heatsync, or tells me to email customer support. I've reseated the heatsync 3+ times, and I would contact customer service via email if i could find anyone's emails. If you have any insight please let me know so I can get this issue resolved as soon as possible.

Thanks!

Outcomes