AnsweredAssumed Answered

Drastically lower frame rate after restart / fresh driver install with all Catalyst drivers

Question asked by austinbpankey on Jan 2, 2016
Latest reply on Jan 11, 2016 by austinbpankey

I am currently running a Windows 10 setup, using an R9 270x along with a Z97-A ASUS motherboard, i5 4690k, and 8 GB of RAM.

Ever since mid-December, every time I restart Windows from a fresh driver install, my frame rate starts off excellent, 65 FPS in GTAV, ~250 FPS in Minecraft, and around 70 FPS in Battlefield 4. After rebooting my system again, either from sleep mode, a full restart cycle or, from shutdown, the graphics drop drastically -  from 65 to 15. 250 to 50, and 70 to 20. This makes gaming on my system worse than on console. Turning down settings barely helps as well.

I have tried:

• Re-seating my card, using other PCI-E ports (I have 3)
  • Installing many different Catalyst drivers, including 15.12, 15.11.1, 15.13, and 15.7.1. Same result with all. The best performance was found with the 15.11.1 beta drivers.
  • Blocking the most recent Windows updates (1511 seemed to initially cause the problem; uninstalling it yields the same result as a fresh driver install)
  • Blocking the Windows 10 AMD Radeon Drivers (I believe they are 15.2 or something back from May. There are also ones from December 16th, which were suspicious) using the show or hide Windows updates provided on Microsoft's website.

I did notice this doesn't seem to just be on Windows 10, but also seemed to occur when I installed Windows 7 to try to fix the issue.

If anybody can help, I'd really appreciate it. In the mean time I'll do some digging.

Outcomes