11 Replies Latest reply on Nov 23, 2016 3:14 PM by mode

Fury X flickering lines in games when using displayport

wzzt

Can we please get a response from AMD on this issue? I've seen hundreds of reports of this problem on these forums, various gaming monitor support forums (Acer, Asus, etc), various subreddits, youtube comments, etc. The severity and frequency of the issue depends on the game being played. Basically if the game requires very little horsepower than the issue occurs more. For example a game like world of warcraft, path of exile, or mass effect 1 have the issue occurs constantly - at least once every 10 seconds. However if I play a game that requires horsepower to run like crysis 3, witcher 3, or battlefront, then the issue if infrequent. Maybe once every 5 or 10 minutes.

Here is a video of the issue I just made IMG 0080 - YouTube

Here are some other videos displaying the issue (which I didn't make):  ANNO 2205 Graphics problems (Screen OFF/ON & grey Stripes) - YouTube   Acer XG270HU FreeSync flickering issue - YouTube

I have recreated this issue on my Acer XR341CK and Dell U2713HM monitors, running at 3440x1440 @ 75hz freesync enabled and 2560x1440 @ 60hz.

Building a new PC with all new components did not resolve the issue (that includes getting a replacement Sapphire Fury X and replacement Acer XR341CK. I've tried three different motherboards.   I've reinstalled Windows 10 fresh several times through troubleshooting.

I tried 12 different displayport cables, most of which are v1.2 certified, including the cable recommended by AMD on this subreddit https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/3uvp02/a_holiday_reminder_on_quality_displayport_cables

I experience the issue using the catalyst driver + driver automatically installed by Windows updates (on Windows 10), on 15.11 with catalyst control center, 15.11b with Crimson, and 15.12 with Crimson.

I have since discovered that using the 3rd party product ClockBlocker completely resolves the issue.  The program was created to troubleshoot issues with Fury and Fury X cards. It was first mentioned in this AMD support forum thread Fury X Display problem. and available here ClockBlocker (new Fiji / R9 Fury tool for testing) - Guru3D.com Forums

I wish I would have known about the ClockBlocker program's method of working around the problem before having Amazon send me a replacement graphics card and monitor. It's unfair to Amazon, Acer, and Sapphire having to deal with those returns just because AMD hasn't addressed or even acknowledged the issue.  However the way ClockBlocker prevents the flickering lines is to keep the Fury X clocked at 1050mhz at all times while the profiled game is running.  I don't think that's an appropriate long-term solution because it means drawing unnecessary power and pushing the GPU beyond what's necessary.  I want AMD to acknowledge the issue and notify customers as to whether or not they can and will release a fix to the issue.

I have just under a month left to return my Fury X back to Amazon for a refund.  I do not want to do this because I love the Acer ultrawide display that uses freesync. Unfortunately if I return the Fury X, then i'll be switching back to Nvidia.. thus the freesync display has got to be returned to.

So here I am requesting a response from AMD on their forums because after opening several support tickets with AMD I am not getting help. In fact my last ticket was closed and I was told to submit a bug report (which doesn't yield a response).

• Re: Fury X flickering lines in games when using displayport
          tracyfox

I totally agree with AMD not addressed the issue. Not fair for the shops to handle problem that are actually AMDs fault. I mean.. this problem has been a problem for a while now, and there have been a fix for it some time now.. Dunno why they haven't fixed it yet.

donta1979

Try using clockblocker, AMD needs to make the drivers fully utilize their gpus at all times while gaming. Even on less demanding games, and/or give its customers the option to stop it disable power savings and have the clock in performance mode. This will take care of the issue though will keep your card at max speed. Just dont expect it to increase performance because the gpu will be at its max clock. Drivers will only use as much of the GPU it thinks it needs, that issue needs to be fixed for all gaming titles. I am also someone who just switched from nvidia a Titan actually, been using nvidia for over a decade. Its been a bumpy couple days lots of reading to learn the ins and outs of AMD. Also on an AMD R9 Fury X love the card, but yes the small annoyances are a pain, and so much misinformation is on here and all over the net on how to do what. Then you get the fanboys who even when something is wrong try to blame your pc because it cannot be the card or they have just come to accept things how they are or they turn a blind eye out of fanboyism. But this will fix your issue. Enjoy your game and card=D

ClockBlocker Contents

wzzt

If you would have read my post then you'd see I do not consider it an acceptable solution.  Until a fix is entirely supported by AMD and within their driver software package, it's not satisfactory.

donta1979

I did and I agree, with you. AMD needs to set the idle clocks to at least 400mhz to stop them or give us a solution in the drivers that makes the card stay in "performance mode", its the only fix right now. So giving you at least an option to do something until AMD gets with the program. More people need to hit AMD up on social media all aspects, submit tickets none stop so our voices are heard and they make it a priority. But for now like I said its at least a solution for you. I am also someone who was on the nvidia side for over a decade.

lordj7x

Totally agree with you... I just bought a Fury X because the marketing and blabla.. to get a good gaming experience with my freesync 144hz asus monitor, get my whole system upgraded and guess what FLICKEEERRRRRR ... I have three different cables somes from cable matters other comes with the card and every cable make the 144hz screen flickers, I disabled the freesync and is worst, activate the vsync on the game (cod bo3) and worst.  Excellent for ClockBlocker creators but shame on AMD I have to use a third party app as workaround after I payed almost $700 on this card and the worst if I have to do any RMA will cost me tons because am outside USA.... AMD we put our faith and money on your product because we think is good and you can do better than nv1d1a and that GSync.... dont make us think we were wrong and through $700 in card + $1200 in monitors (YES!! $1200 I have 3 freesync monitors) to trash and go with the other company... at least give us an answer that you are working on it, that whats need to be done when you have trouble and customers are anxious! (I also work on Technology)

wzzt amazing work documenting all!!

mudda

AMD, when are we going to get an answer on this?

donta1979

Turned off Afterburner and had my Samsung Display finally did it... yup defiantly a problem for both my 27" Samsung and my Vizio LED TV... I would love to know what displays this does not happen on, and what Freesync displays it wont happen on thinking of getting one... Should not be having these issues...

donta1979

I also notice that with my Display if I turn on VSR just having it on keeps this from happening... Update nope, it reduces the time of it happening but at least I can change the resolution to reset the monitor with VSR on so I do not have to unplug and replug in my display...

rathalos2006

So I was having near enough the same problem : R9 Fury X Artifacting at above 60FPS , and yeah, ClockBlocker fixed it. Thanks for posting, cause lord knows AMD doesn't want to do anything about it :/

crouchgod

Why is there still no fix tho? it happends less in 16.4.1  than previous versions, i dont even know what is going on.

mode

I just picked up an XFX Fury X and am also having issues with this with my new Viewsonic xg2700-4k.  I use the display port and also have FreeSync enabled.  I constantly get renderer errors in Battlefront and DX11 issues.  This is really a shame.  Why has there been no answer for this in months?  Do they just discount the cards and hope a new generation of video cards makes it go away?