wzzt

Fury X flickering lines in games when using displayport

Discussion created by wzzt on Jan 1, 2016
Latest reply on Nov 23, 2016 by mode

Can we please get a response from AMD on this issue? I've seen hundreds of reports of this problem on these forums, various gaming monitor support forums (Acer, Asus, etc), various subreddits, youtube comments, etc. The severity and frequency of the issue depends on the game being played. Basically if the game requires very little horsepower than the issue occurs more. For example a game like world of warcraft, path of exile, or mass effect 1 have the issue occurs constantly - at least once every 10 seconds. However if I play a game that requires horsepower to run like crysis 3, witcher 3, or battlefront, then the issue if infrequent. Maybe once every 5 or 10 minutes.

Here is a video of the issue I just made IMG 0080 - YouTube

Here are some other videos displaying the issue (which I didn't make):  ANNO 2205 Graphics problems (Screen OFF/ON & grey Stripes) - YouTube   Acer XG270HU FreeSync flickering issue - YouTube

I have recreated this issue on my Acer XR341CK and Dell U2713HM monitors, running at 3440x1440 @ 75hz freesync enabled and 2560x1440 @ 60hz.

Building a new PC with all new components did not resolve the issue (that includes getting a replacement Sapphire Fury X and replacement Acer XR341CK. I've tried three different motherboards.   I've reinstalled Windows 10 fresh several times through troubleshooting.

I tried 12 different displayport cables, most of which are v1.2 certified, including the cable recommended by AMD on this subreddit https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/3uvp02/a_holiday_reminder_on_quality_displayport_cables

I experience the issue using the catalyst driver + driver automatically installed by Windows updates (on Windows 10), on 15.11 with catalyst control center, 15.11b with Crimson, and 15.12 with Crimson.

I have since discovered that using the 3rd party product ClockBlocker completely resolves the issue.  The program was created to troubleshoot issues with Fury and Fury X cards. It was first mentioned in this AMD support forum thread Fury X Display problem. and available here ClockBlocker (new Fiji / R9 Fury tool for testing) - Guru3D.com Forums

I wish I would have known about the ClockBlocker program's method of working around the problem before having Amazon send me a replacement graphics card and monitor. It's unfair to Amazon, Acer, and Sapphire having to deal with those returns just because AMD hasn't addressed or even acknowledged the issue.  However the way ClockBlocker prevents the flickering lines is to keep the Fury X clocked at 1050mhz at all times while the profiled game is running.  I don't think that's an appropriate long-term solution because it means drawing unnecessary power and pushing the GPU beyond what's necessary.  I want AMD to acknowledge the issue and notify customers as to whether or not they can and will release a fix to the issue.

I have just under a month left to return my Fury X back to Amazon for a refund.  I do not want to do this because I love the Acer ultrawide display that uses freesync. Unfortunately if I return the Fury X, then i'll be switching back to Nvidia.. thus the freesync display has got to be returned to.

So here I am requesting a response from AMD on their forums because after opening several support tickets with AMD I am not getting help. In fact my last ticket was closed and I was told to submit a bug report (which doesn't yield a response).

Outcomes