6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 6, 2016 7:44 AM by waltc

AMD Radeon Settings not going to idle clocks after gaming

jay.kapasi

I am setting the Global Overdrive clocks to lower than default values. Currently it is 500Mhz GPU and 750 MHz memort but at every restart it is again falling back to default clocks and also Fanspeed is turning from Auto to Manual 46%. So it results in overheating of card and I have to again set it back. Also when I close the game the clocks are not going  back to idle speeds and it remains at 500MHz GPU and 1500 MHz memory. This is only happening with the Radeon Settings and not Catalys control Centre.

1. Settings are not saved when I apply it in Global overdrive and resets every restart

2. Clocks are not going to idle after closing game but goes to idle again if I restart my PC

I tried also re-installing the settings many times but it always have the same behavior. There is also no indication where its settings are stored and how to reset those settings.

OS - Windows 7 x64

Radeon R9 280x

CPU - AMD FX 8350

Radeon Settings - 2015.1118

• Re: AMD Radeon Settings not going to idle clocks after gaming
          amdmatt

Are you using the Crimson 15.12 WHQL drivers? They addressed an issue which involved the fan speed getting stuck.

jay.kapasi

I installed new version 15.12 but it is even worse it gets to 1500 MHZ on power on itself also fan speed is always stuck on power on.  Earlier it only used to happen after starting game

lolerinc

its not the fans, when I use global overdrive on my computer the memory clocks get stuck at max, the slider even disappears which prevents me from lowering the speeds of my card. you see I have two desktops and both have windows 10

In my first desktop i have

-OS - Windows 10 Pro (updated)

-Radeon HD 7950

-CPU - AMD FX 8350

-using tv as monitor

second desktop

-OS - Windows 10 pro (updated)

-nvidia 650 ti

-CPU - AMD phenom II black edition 955

-Ben Q monitor

Since I decided to get a new graphics card for the first desktop I sold my nvidia card and moved my radeon hd 7950 to the second desktop

The weird thing is that global overdrive was working on my first desktop (drivers 15.12) memory clock was going down after finishing a game.

so lets say that at idle speeds in my computer runs at 300 memory clock and the core clock was at 150. and the overclock is 1575 memory clock and the core clock is 1200

When i moved my graphics card to the second desktop I overclock it with the global overdrive settings again, but when I clicked on apply my memory clock jumped from 300 to 1575 for no reason. and my core clock jumped from 150 to 500. and I know this is not normal because on my first desktop it only goes to an overclock speed when i play a game or do something that requires graphics. and the problem doesn't end there. the slider for memory clock even disappears which is really weird.

I tried everything, even

reinstalling drivers

reinstalling windows

but no luck

and is not the card because I'm using msi afterburner and is working fine. I dont know if this is happening because I'm using a monitor instead of a tv or because of the cpu which are the only 2 things that change between the two desktops.

jay.kapasi

After I reset the settings in AMD Radeon Settings by using factory default now Fan speed bug is gone but the idle clock problem is still not solved.and the memory clock is always stuck at 1500 MHz also this is the minimum I can set which seems to be ridiculous as in earlier versions in Catalyst control centre, I was easily able to underclock the GPU as it gets very hot under normal clocks.

jay.kapasi

I installed new version 15.12 but it is even worse it gets to 1500 MHZ on power on itself also fan speed is always stuck on power on.  Earlier it only used to happen after starting game.