5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 2, 2016 7:11 PM by techguy

My APU has lost its clock speed HELP!

stxr

So A few weeks ago I noticed That my APU's clock speeds dropped lower then what the actual APU speed is supposed to be. Me being me i didn't do anything about it but now multitasking feels alot slower then when i bought the APU 2 years ago, This is my current RIG setup,

APU - AMD A8 5500 Quad Core 3.2 Ghz w/ 3.7 Turbo

GPU - GTX 750 Ti SC

PSU - Thermaltake TR2 430w

RAM - 8GB samsung 1600mhz (2 Dims)

MOBO - I cant find anything on my pc about it so heres a link Amazon.com: Gateway DX4380 Desktop Motherboard FM2 A75 AAHD3-VC DB.GDF11.001: Computers & Accessories

I will provide screen shots of the issue also, in the picture it says my max speed without turbo is 3.19 Ghz and its supposed to be 3.20 and also the APU Never has gone over 3.45 Ghz since, ive made sure im on max power mode and everything. I feel like A quarter of my APU has died.

PS Sorry for the mess of information scattered around, this is my first time posting on a forum

• Re: My APU has lost its clock speed HELP!
          techguy

3.19 GHz. and 3.20 GHz. is essentially a rounding error? They are virtually the same speed for all practical purposes. Variation in mobo designs can cause a tiny diff in CPU reported frequency which is set by the BIOS when the PC is started. Turbo mode only operates momentarily when the cores are lightly loaded and the thermal temp on the APU is lower than a preset temp by AMD.

In my experience as more data is added to the HDD, system performance will slow a bit over time especially with O/S updates. It's also easy to get malware on a PC that will slow the performance. If you don't use anti-virus or anti malware software then you might try some of the free programs to check for malware. Norton offers a free A / V scan program. There are numerous free malware programs. Many people like the free version of Spybot search and destroy.

Norton Security Scan - Free Virus Scan By Norton

Download Spybot - Search & Destroy

stxr

I play games like Rainbow six siege and gta v and my cpu utilization is usually pretty high and the cpu never surpasses 3.45 Ghz, my temps are in the 60 degree mark and sometimes the high 70's when im on full load. another thing is my cpu used to say 3.20 Ghz and it also used to hit 3.70 ghz. I also formatted my HDD about 3 days ago and did a fresh install of windows 8, i have not done any updates to my pc yet I also have Avast Pro Antivirus, done a full scan and nothing ive also gotten malware-bytes pro and theres nothing that showed up. Also in my Bios it reads my cpu is 3.20 ghz with 3.7 turbo but windows reads and tells differently.

techguy

Yes I understand what you are saying. My point is 3.19 GHz. vs. 3.20 GHz. is a rounding error by Windows. Turbo mode is not a steady state frequency like the base frequency. The CPU can run "up to 3.7 GHz. intermittently depending on the load and APU temp". It can and will run at other frequencies between 3.2 GHz. and 3.7 GHz. based on load and temp. Turbo mode is a dynamic mode that instantaneously changes based on load and APU temp. High 70 C temps. can lower the frequency the APU runs at. If the APU gets too hot the CPU base frequency will drop well below 3.2 GHz. to try and cool the APU to prevent damage. The BIOS reads the APU identification coding and sets the CPU base frequency and vcore from the I.D. information. Turbo mode frequency is controlled by the CPU internally based on load and temp.

Have you checked to make sure the HSF is clean and properly tensioned with the fan running at full speed under heavy load? If the TIM has dried up it may need to be cleaned and replaced to keep the APU as cool as possible under heavy load.

stxr

Okay the rounding error is fine but your saying that it won't reach that speed because its more likely to be too hot? So The clock speed slider in my Catalyst Control Panel when at max speed 3.7 Ghz won't actually go there because of too high of temps?