0 Replies Latest reply on Dec 31, 2015 11:03 AM by midix

Bug - ghosting lines when GPU scaling turned on. Was not present in older drivers before Windows 10 support was introduced.

midix

Starting with amd-catalyst-15.7-win10-64bit.exe (as far as I know, the first official AMD drivers for Windows 10) and up to now (31st of December, 2015) there is a problem with AMD drivers when using GPU scaling.

There are some ghosting lines in window headers, in some menus, and especially bad ghosting in Internet Explorer for some CSS animated UI elements.

Generally, I have Intel built-in graphics disabled, but for this test I enabled it so I can compare and verify that it is a bug specific to AMD drivers.

Here is a video with more details:

https://youtu.be/zHoXJctpj4Q

The video has long preparation with explanations, the demo of artifacts themselves starts at https://youtu.be/zHoXJctpj4Q?t=1m24s

In the video you can see me switching between two monitor inputs where one input comes from  HD 7750 graphics card and the other input is from built-in Intel DVI port. When I'm on "Intel desktop", you can see that no ghosting occurs, but on "AMD desktop" there is ghosting.

Later I tried to revert to older drivers and found out that the ghosting is not present on amd-catalyst-omega-14.12-with-dotnet45-win8.1-64bit.exe and older drivers which aren't even meant for Windows 10! This means that AMD broke something specifically while trying to tune their drivers for Windows 10.

You might say that there are too few people affected by this bug because usually people use their monitors without GPU scaling at full native resolution. You are right. The reason why this bug bothers me is because I'm visually impaired and I have to use my monitor at smaller resolutions if I want to continue to be successful at my job (I'm programmer).

While waiting for AMD to fix it, I guess, I'll have to return to the older non-Windows 10 drivers amd-catalyst-omega-14.12-with-dotnet45-win8.1-64bit.exe.

My system specs:

GPU: ASUS HD7750-1GD5

Monitor: ViewSonic VP2365WB, connected through DVI port.

Video drivers: Crimson 15.12 (but I had the same issues with earlier Catalyst too)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H67A-USB3-B3 with the latest BIOS available

CPU: i3-2120

RAM: Kingston 4x2 = 8GB

PSU: Gigabyte Superb 550P