shafted

Want suggestions for an OS

Discussion created by shafted on Dec 29, 2015
Latest reply on Dec 29, 2015 by tomtalk24

I've got an Radeon HD Mobility 5650, which apparently is in the 4xxx series.  I made the mistake of upgrading from windows 7 to windows 10 (x64, home edition), and there isn't a driver for it.  I've tried force installing the legacy drivers using the device manager, but those drivers aren't signed for windows 10, so I get an error message saying the driver doesn't support this version of windows.  (Since it thinks running *no* video driver is better than one designed for an earlier OS.)

I should've been able to rollback to windows 7, but I needed to reset after something crashed it, and the reset removed the rollback option.  I don't have a CD, and I can't download an ISO patch with the product ID that MagicJellyBean says my computer is using and the sticker on the bottom is long since rubbed illegible.  That leaves the only option of giving Microsoft $30 to buy windows 7 all over again.  Frankly, at this point, Microsoft can suck it.  I'm not going to give them money for breaking my computer with an OS update when it worked fine before.

I'm considering getting Ubuntu.  Should I get the latest version of it, or should I look for the last version AMD explicitly says they have support for?  Or, is there some other variety of Linux that anyone thinks is better?

Outcomes