5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 30, 2015 3:03 PM by t77chevy

XFX r9 280x Black Edition - Crimson Fried my GPU

flyers12345

PC Specs:

• - Windows 8.1
      • - I7-2600 @ 3.4GHz (8 CPUS) *No overclocking*
      • - 8g RAM @1333MHz (Tested & functional)
      • - Mobo: MSI h61m-p31/w8 (Bios V3.6 *latest)
        • Already configured Bios via tech support for optimal stability
      • - PSU – Corsair GS700 (Recently tested successful & fully functional)
      • - Directx Ver. 11
      • - XFX AMD R9 280x BDBT (Black edition)
        • Bios : 015.044.000.010 (Latest – confirm w/ manufacturer)
        • AMD Catalyst Suite 14.5
          • Driver – 14.502.1014.1001
          • Default Settings
          • NO Overclocking

Here’s what happened…

I bought a new mobo (MSI h61m-p31/W8) to accommodate PCI-e 3.0 slot for GPU. With the system configurations that you see above, I Installed and configured the mobo and GPU with everything working, as it should, for several months (no overclocking tweaks). Played many games – BF4, COH2, etc on max settings *fans and coil would always be loud, but oh well*. 

Then, around the time Fallout 4 came out, I decided to upgrade my system to Windows 10 pro and update AMD driver to Crimson – Debut release. The game played for a few hours and then all of a sudden, would crash. Forced to hard reset PC, and after trying to play again, it would crash after 5-10 mins of gameplay (it took me a while to notice that the loud fans and coil humming were unnoticeable now). My initial thought was that it was the game that was causing the problem but then tried to play other games, like the ones stated early, and they too would crash after 20mins. I then determined it was a driver issue and went down that dirt road but after several clean installs (using DDU safe mode, etc), none of the drivers would work. I then started thinking it was my system, but after several pain-staking clean installations, even my original configuration (that you see above) would continue to produce the same issue with my GPU. I even tried the GPU in a different PC and PSU, and sure enough, same results.

I believe my card was damaged by the Crimson driver update, as I have read from prior posts, causing the fan to lock at 20%. The card burned out (obviously). I don’t think there’s much that I have missed that would note otherwise.