4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 30, 2015 2:19 AM by lonster

Radeon R7 360 detects only the first display as audio enabled?

lonster

Well... the situation is - I want to connect my Digital Flat TV to my PC for watching movies.

Initial setup:

I connected my monitor with HDMI cable to HDMI port of Radeon card.

My TV was connected to DisplayPort of Radeon card using DisplayPort to HDMI adapter and HDMI cable connected to HDMI TV input.

Result: no sound on TV, it is also not listed in Playback Devices. Checking Catalyst options, the TV is described as "Your display do not support audio." My monitor is listed in Playback Devices and sound is heard when testing.

Alternate setup (without PC restart):

Connected my TV with HDMI cable directly without any adapters.

Connected my monitor to DisplayPort of Radeon card using DisplayPort to HDMI adapter and HDMI cable connected to HDMI TV input.

Result: same as in previous setup - no sound on TV and it does not exist in Playback Devices list. No any sound issues on my monitor.

PC restarted without any cable changes (alternate setup).

Result: my TV is recognized as Audio enabled, listed in Playback devices and sound is going there properly. But... my LCD monitor is not listed anymore in Playback devices and there is no way to test and hear sound there.

Ideas and suspicions:

Probably on PC restart R7 360 detects the first display connected to HDMI output and marks it as Audio enabled then stops scanning and does not add any other displays (if connected) to Playback devices list.

Please comment if my guess is correct.

If so, could you please provide any ideas is it possible to force both TV and monitor to be detected and listed in Playback Devices so I can switch them when needed?

Also, is there any possibility that my TV is detected and added to Playback devices list just when HDMI cable is connected, without restarting the PC?

My hardware:

Radeon R7 360 OC, 2048 MB, 2xDVI, 1xHDMI, 1xDisplayPort

Phillips 274E LCD monitor, DVI, VGA, HDMI

Phillips Digital Flat TV 42PFL3606, 2xHDMI

Windows 10 x64 Operating system

• Re: Radeon R7 360 detects only the first display as audio enabled?
          t77chevy

I'm just guessing but looks like the dp to hdmi adapter doesnt support audio , I personally run dp to monitor dp input , hdmi output to a Yamaha receiver input for audio , and can select between these two at any time , the only difference here is I'm not using an adapter

• Re: Radeon R7 360 detects only the first display as audio enabled?
              lonster

No, it is not the case.

Check Alternate setup above - before PC restart.

Audio goes nicely through DP to HDMI adapter.

The issue is that if any audio-supporting display is detected on HDMI, no further displays are scanned for audio support. No matter which display is connected to which port and with which cable.

So no matter what I do, I have only one display available in Audio Playback devices - the one connected to HDMI port on Radeon.

Switching cables (no matter which end) results in same display listed and producing sound.

If only one display (no matter which) is connected to DP through adapter and nothing is connected to HDMI port, then this display is properly detected and listed in Playback devices.

If no any other approach is possible, I would proceed like that:

Keep my monitor connected to DP with adapter. Nothing else connected. On restart the monitor is properly detected and can play audio.

When I need to use TV - connect TV to HDMI port, reboot and sound to TV is enabled. Then another reboot is needed, if I need to re-enable my Monitor audio when HDMI cable is disconnected.

It is awkward procedure, I don't like it. I just need possibility to switch active display from Playback Devices.

Also I don't like connecting and disconnecting cables directly to my video card, the connector is not indestructible.

Anyway, please see below my tests until now:

1. DP adapter <-> Monitor
              Sound OK, detect OK
              Restart - OK

2. HDMI <-> Monitor
              Sound OK, detect OK
              Restart - OK

3. HDMI cable connected online after (1.)
              DP adapter <-> Monitor
              HDMI <-> TV
              Sound on Monitor, detected Monitor only
              Restart:
              Sound on TV, detected TV only

4. Cables switched online after (3. after Restart)
              HDMI <-> Monitor
              DP adapter <-> TV
              Sound on TV, detected TV only (note that TV is now on DP connector, not on HDMI)
              Restart:
              Sound on Monitor, detected Monitor only