R9 390 idle temperature when using multi-monitor

asserfelt

Hello

R9 390 Asus strix factory OC

ASUS P6T Deluxe V2

i7 920 2.66Ghz OC ~3.8Ghz

Kingston 12Gb RAM OC 1483Ghz

Case: Fractal Define R5

I have stumpled over a thread on Reddit, because I have gotten a new screen in Christmas present. And I kinda found this very interesting. AMD should be able to solve this problem with an driver update to be honest. Running a dual screen setup atm with one screen on 144Hz with 1920*1080 and another on 60Hz also 1920*1080.
      The main problem is when they are idling with their cards their temperatures stay high, R9 290 and R9 390 series at ~63 celcius at idle. What they are telling is they have 1 display in DVI and the other in HDMI, as I don't think it is a HDMI problem but rather a driver issue and therefore addressing the problem to this site.
      What that is interesting is the memory clock stays at 1500MHz nearly, ohh well all the time it. I just thought well, if I manually turn the clock speed down to 150MHz what will then happend. Well my temperature went ~14 celcius down to 49 and with the fans running on the lowest in my case. I am therefore addressing it to you guys, there must be something you can do with a driver update, where you can address this issue with some kind of update.

You have made it so the GPU is idling at 300 MHz, so why not do the same with the memory clock?

Kind regards

Bill B. Asserfelt.