9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 29, 2015 12:33 AM by mjhig

No Dual Graphics tab in Catalyst Control Center

jordancerovic

I just recently bought an ASUS R7250-1GD5 card to pair with my A10 7850K in a dual graphics configuration. I was running the latest Crimson Edition drivers, and could not find the option for Dual Graphics in CCC. After doing some research I found that "Crimson Edition drivers do not yet support Dual Graphics" which the installer should really warn you about before updating the drivers. From what I could gather you needed to run pre-Crimson Edition drivers in order to have dual graphics enabled. I installed the 14.1 drivers... still no Dual Graphics tab. Seriously, wtf is going on with the driver support here? First I had to uninstall Win 10 a few months ago because there were no Llano drivers for Win 10 (my old PC), now this... I'm getting very frustrated. I've been a long time AMD user... even before that I was an ATI user. I don't ever remember having this many driver issues before the last few months.

vCFjA3M.jpg

System specs:

GIGABYTE GA-F2A78M-D3H

AMD A10-7850K

ASUS R7250-1GD5

2X4GB GSKILL RIPJAWS 1600MHZ

Can someone please help me get this working?

• Re: No Dual Graphics tab in Catalyst Control Center
          mjhig

Yup, I see you replied to my post. I used the driver cleaner tool to reinstall the Crimson drivers thinking it was the installation that borked my rig which removed all my previous driver folders in the default location. I then like you found out that Crimson doesn't support dual graphics so you have to go to AMD's driver page and get "other" CCC drivers or if you didn't use the cleaner tool the default should be C > AMD > Catalyst (latest version) and use the setup.exe from there to reinstall the Catalyst (old) drivers.

waltc

For Windows 10 you really need to be using the latest Catalyst if you can...which would be 15.7.1.  Why are you running the 14.1's....? They are old and predate the release of Win10.

jordancerovic

Firstly... you should notice I'm running Win 7 in that pic. I upgraded to Win 10 on my old system and the gfx went completely haywire because AMD isn't bothering to make Win 10 drivers for anything over 2 or so years old, which was partly what prompted me to get the new hardware, so I'm a little hesitant to upgrade again even though my new APU and GPU both have Win 10 drivers. The screenshot I posted is of a fresh Win 7 install. Crimson drivers do not have dual graphics support, and I saw AMD reps on here telling people they need to roll back to Catalyst drivers to restore Dual Graphics capability. The 14.1 drivers weren't the only ones I tried, I tried literally 10 or 15 pre-Crimson drivers trying to restore Dual Graphics capability... 14.1 was just the last one I tried so I screenshotted it.

mjhig

See my reply to you on my original link, I gave you links to Catalyst drivers for Win 10.

Crimson drivers NO suport for dual graphics

waltc

In Windows 10 the driver model has changed to WDDM 2.0--basically this is in preparation for D3d12 support.  Neither WDDM 2.0 or d3d12 will function in Win7, an OS that is older than your GPU by a number of years.  I am unfamiliar with "dual graphics" but it's not a concept that interested me because whenever two gpus are paired like that, even in xFire, the performance of the faster GPU tends to be constrained by the performance of the slower gpu. 

I realize this isn't what you want to hear, but you might be much happier slapping something discrete into your AGP 3.0 slot and letting the onboard gpu turn itself off, because you could be running your games far faster than you ever imagined possible with so-called "dual graphics."  But if budget is an absolute concern, you might want to take a look at something like this:

XFX Core Edition Radeon R7 250X DirectX 11.2 R7-250X-CNJ4 2GB 128-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 CrossFireX Support Video Car…

It has 2GB of GDDR5 instead of 1GB of DDR3.  True that would knock out "dual graphics" for you, but will most likely run a good bit faster/better than your old card would run *with* dual graphics...and be far less driver-problematic for you than your present situation.  In the future, you'd be wise to choose your GPUs discretely.  Never allow your choice of GPU to be influenced by the limits of your cpu's IGP.  It makes for much happier campers...;)

mjhig

I don't know about him but I'm not interested in spending that kind of money unnecessarily. This machine is multipurpose not a dedicated gaming rig and for less than $400 it's amazing. I can run BF4 in dual graphics with all settings maxed and AA turned off and average 50 fps, the A10-7850K will run it at average 30 fps with settings on medium and AA turned off on it's own if I wanted, for an IGU it's actually quite good. I'm playing World of Warcraft right now not in dual graphics averaging 40 fps, all at 1080p, just fine for me.

Dual graphics is easily 50% faster than in single mode, I seriously doubt an driver is going to provide that.

Asus A88X-PRO

AMD A10-7850K Radeon R7

MSI R7 250 2GD3 OC

G.SKILL TridentX DDR3 2400 (PC3 19200) Series 4GB X 4 = 16GB

3 connected displays (display port, HDMI and DVI)

All jordancerovic has to do is click the link I provided for the proper Catalyst drivers until Radeon straightens out the Crimson dual graphics support. I have another almost identical machine minus the discrete card and got a driver update notice this morning on it, maybe they've sorted it now but I'm not messing with the drivers on this dual graphics machine until I know that's the case, it runs great with the Catalyst drivers and the fancy Crimson Radeon software is still here if I felt the need to use it.

jordancerovic

I realize that... it's just that, had I known crossfire/dual gfx driver support was so spotty, I would have bought a better FX CPU for the same amount that I shelled out for the A10, or spent less and put the price difference into a 280 or 290 GPU. Guess there's nothing to do but cross my fingers and hope that future driver updates address this issue.