AnsweredAssumed Answered

R290x Black Screen upon login. Crimson drivers (All versions)

Question asked by borndownunder on Dec 25, 2015
Latest reply on Dec 27, 2015 by borndownunder

First of all, pc specs:

Intel i5-2500 non-k @ base clocks.

ASUS p8p67 pro motherboard

8gb RAM @1866 xmp profile.

Sapphire TriXX OC r290x 4gb (Hynix) - Tested at base clocks and overclocked with OverDrive & MSI AfterBurner (Seperate attempts, of course) to see if issue with Overdrive not assigning voltage correctly.

Samsung 840 EVO 256gb SSD

Windows 10 x64 Home Edition.

I am currently running completely stable on 15.11.1 drivers, audio drivers disabled, gpu core @ 1100, mem @ 1500 24x7 clocks, custom fan profile, temps never above 75 degrees Celsius, only see those temps when 30+ ambient temperatures.

Typical install process:

Download drivers

Reboot into safe mode

Run DDU

Reboot into normal mode

Install drivers

Reboot as per post installation request.

Everything runs as per normal, drivers are amazing with 10-15% performance increases in just about everything, restarts and shut downs are fine until cold boot. OverDrive functions well in testing though I use MSI AfterBurner to enforce a custom fan profile and voltage increase to support the overclock profile.

Once I cold boot, where one would see the login screen (I don't use a password as only I use this pc, have troubleshooted by setting a password to see if I could force login) the monitor goes to stand-by mode, reporting no input and pc hangs completely.

After doing a soft reset or hard shutdown, the network drivers end up being knocked out and I have to go through the process of resetting the parameters to re-gain network access.

I can enter via safe mode successfully to troubleshoot, after initial cold-boot failure I cannot restart after entering safe mode into normal mode, pc hangs after windows logo every time...

Troubleshooting attempts:

I have tried waiting out the black screen

I have done a complete wipe & re-installation of OS

Post re-installation of OS I have done gpu driver installation prior to & post windows update to see if their was potential conflict

Tested base clocks with/out OverDrive enabled, with/out MSI AfterBurner installed, with/out MSI AfterBurner

Tested overclocking via OverDrive with/out MSI AfterBurner installed

Tested overclocking via MSI AfterBurner

Installation of gpu drivers over the top of pre-existing drivers.

I am at a total loss as to what to do now, would really like to use the new drivers except I do not want to leave my pc running 24x7.

Any ideas would be appreciated and thanks in advance.

Outcomes