4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 28, 2015 10:42 AM by jimmyjosser

Is CPU overheating?

jimmyjosser

Hey, recently my computer has randomly started restarting when playing certain games: GTA V is one of these games.

Basically what happens is that while playing the audio currently playing will begin to loop and make a buzzing sound and the screen will freeze, then the screen will disconnect and then my PC will restart. Earlier today I downloaded HWMonitor and while playing GTA V the heat of my AMD FX-6300 reached up to 79C but it didn't make the computer restart when I was running it, the restarts happen completely randomly.

Is 79C too high for a CPU to be running at, and is this the reason why my computer is restarting? Any help would really be appreciated as I have no clue what to do

• Re: Is CPU overheating?
          tomtalk24

72 is the limit, so your reboots are forced to prevent damage.

We need to work out why your CPU is at 79oc. This could be hardware, so a tiny or wrong heat sink. The thermal paste not applied correctly. The heat sink not fully on, using the leavers it shouldnt wobble.

It could be software, but your system should cope with the heat at maximum load no matter what. Check your CPU usage in Windows, idle should be 1%. In game maybe 60/80% with your CPU.

If you boot into the BIOS, find your CPU temp. The BIOS has no power saving on the CPU, so should be 20/40oc. If your hitting higher its something physical related.

Keep us posted with your findings.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              jimmyjosser

Thank you so much for your reply, sorry its taken me a while.

I've checked the temperature in the BIOS and it was over 60oc, peaking at 65, and the load never goes above 10%. So it must be a hardware issue, correct? What should I do about this now?

Again, thanks for the help

tomtalk24

If your savy with hardware, and have the bits. Remove the heat sink and fan, give it a good dusting, clean up the thermal paste and re apply a small rice sized amount and re seat your CPU heat sink. This should sort it if the problem is the thermal paste not doing as it should any more.

Let us know how you get on. 

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      jimmyjosser

I've taken your advice and cleaned the heat sink of dust thoroughly, and replaced the thermal paste.

Glad to report that everything is working fine! In the BIOS the temp never rose above 35 degrees and games are no longer crashing.

Thank you so much for your help!